Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Modes?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Garrett Mireles, Sep 18, 2003.

1. chardin

chardin

Sep 18, 2000
  2. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Thanks, Chardin.

While it's not 'mode specific', that will work with any (and every) type of scale.

3. Pacman

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    So you can play every mode, starting on any note, anwhere on the neck? Work on staying in one position and changing modes every 16 beats. Every 12. Every 8. Every 4.

Still bored?

4. Of course, that's a must. I'll take that changing the position every X beats suggestion though, thanks.

And yes, it's still boring. I'd rather have it be more musical. Playing root-octave-root isn't exactly fun. I'll go write some more riffs I suppose.

5. Pacman

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Two things.

1. You don't change position, you change the scale (and motion of the line, you don't get to start over). You're NOT allowed to change position, in fact, for this drill.

2. If you're doing my method, you're not doing root, octave, root. That's exactly the point. Start dorian mode on the 2nd and you'll end up on the 5th. Star lydian on the 4 and you end up on the octave.

read the article again please.

edit for third thing.

If it's not musical, that's not the fault of the excercise. Music doesn't come from drills, or books, it comes from within. You want more musical? Play more musically! Tone, dynamics, articulations all make up other aspects of expression.

6. 1. Yes I do that, I just didn't fully explain myself when I posted, my fault.

2. Hence me asking if there are any 'doodles' written in one particular scale, such as that link I posted.

I didn't get any answers, but thanks anyway.

7. chardin

chardin

Sep 18, 2000
    When playing scales and modes, use different rhythms. Don't play all quarter or eighth notes, mix it up and throw some rests in there too. Have your metronome play on beats 2 and 4. You practice with a metronome don't you? ;)

Jamey Aebersold has a free PDF called Jazz Rhythms at http://www.jazzbooks.com/jazzhandbook/29_jazz_rhythms.pdf

I hope this helps.

8. Target notes and syncopation, thanks.