1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Moding Ibanez SR506

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by gotbass1228, Apr 8, 2009.

1. Okay, so I bought an Ibanez SR506 about 7 months ago. It plays great. But what can I do to make it better? Now, I understand that everybody has a different opinion of "better" so please dont bash me for that. Im just looking for ideas.

Im most definetely not the most intelligent person ever, so please work with me :):smug:

I understand that this Ibanez has passive MK1's but an active preamp. What could I put in this bass to make it compleately passive? If it makes a difference, I am running through a Sansamp RBI, a Hartke LH1000, and an Ampeg 810

2. I'd like to know this too if anyone has an answer.

3. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I guess the first thing we would have to do is answer a few questions.
    1) What DON'T you like about the sound now?
    2) What DO you want it to sound like (maybe mention a recording or artist or bass you would like to get closer to by changing the electronics on your bass)
    3) what's your budget?
    4) Are you handy enough to do it yourself? (I do NOT fall into that category so I have to go to "the guy" at "the shop".)

Answer these questions and I will bet you that somebody on this forum has thought of it before and will have some really on point info. Cheers. And welcome to the forum!!!

4. Oobly

Oobly

Jun 19, 2008
    1. Replace the strings - the Elixirs it comes with just don't do the instrument justice. I use TI jazz flats and the difference is amazing.

2. Replace / bypass the preamp - the pickups are fine, the preamp is quite "coloured". Rolling off the treble pot a little evens out the tone a bit, but a better preamp or none at all allows the real tone to come through.

3. Possible replace the bridge with individual pieces per string - it has a heavy bridge with all the saddles touching each other. This allows the resonance to get a bit lost. A more direct contact from the string to the body with less mass and no contact with the other saddles will improve things.

4. A mod not related to the tone or playability, but useful nonetheless is to move / add a string button further up the back of the bass. Reduces neck dive.

5. RedLeg

RedLeg Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2009
    Kaiserslautern, Germany
    Nov Shmoz Ka Pop?
    setup; from nut to saddle and everything in between. professional setup, fret dressing, and new strings first; because if she plays like a dog, it doesn't matter how she sounds.

The pickups are fine for the price you're paying. You won't find MK1s in a Nordstrand or a Dingwall but they don't suck or anything.

You ought to consider replacing the preamp at some point but even that isn't horrible. maybe a nice Aggy OBP3 in 18v?

6. IngerAlb

IngerAlb

May 11, 2007
    I'd replace the pups & pre with real Bartolini and then a pro setup. That's about it ;)

I've owned a SR500 and it was a very good bass, growly and in your face. To me Elixir are the perfect match for these new Ibby models, there's no coincidence they're coming strung from factory with those strings, but I guess it depends on what type of tone you're after.

Fwiw...I wouldn't turn this bass into a passive one - in fact, I'd go the other way and make it fully A/A. IMO this bass was not designed to be passive...