1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Modulus BassStar

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by loend68, Mar 29, 2009.

1. loend68

loend68 Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2008
    NH
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses, T.C. Electronics
    I've heard of these basses before, but isn't the body shape on this one a little weird?

It sounded amazing, but it looked like there was too much relief in the neck. Do they have truss rods? I didn't see one, but thought maybe it was at neck joint.

Thoughts? Comments? Info?

http://www.daddys.com/used/?itemnumber=MOD03218

2. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    That's a very early Modulus...pre-truss rod. If you don't like the relief, there's not too much you can do without serious shenanigans. One of the bad things about non-adjustable graphite necks. OTOH, that's a SCREAMING deal!

3. ModuMan

ModuMan How many is too many? Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2007
    Bristol, CT #19
    Is it me or is that bridge pickup kinda wonky? Not straight but not quite an angle like a Thumb.

Yeah, if the neck is bowed more than you like you might want to pass.

4. To me that looks like a Modulus neck on a home made body! The pickups look terribly aligned!

But yes, while most graphite necks without a truss rod will stay true their entire life (and will be much more stable than a wooden neck) very occasionally they can shift and become unuseable. Like I say though, this is very rare, and much rarer than having problems with a wooden necked bass!

5. loend68

Jan 14, 2008
    NH
    I thought the body looked odd. And the bridge pickup is off. Can't always tell from pictures, but it kinda looks like everything is a little out of wack, bridge placement and pickup arrangement.
    All I know is that I plugged it through an Ampeg combo and it had the exact fretless sound I love, even with flats! Great mwah!

Do you think the sound is credited to the graphite neck or EMG's? I've never played a graphite neck fretless so I have no comparison.

6. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
  7. natbers78

natbers78

Jun 3, 2006
    Toledo, OH
    here is a link to a thread I started when I was looking for info about my Bassstar. There are some pics of mine and another guys bass if you want to compare. Mine is a different body style than yours, it looks more like a traditional P. Somewhere on here, there is a really informative history of these basses. I searched, but could not find it.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=430122&highlight=modulus+bassstar

8. loend68

Jan 14, 2008
    NH
  9. "If he sells it" is exactly right. I flag the ad every time I see it...hate to think that someone is going to fall for his hype and pay that kind of money for a bass in barely playable condition.