Modulus Flea J5 Fans?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by eViL cAkE, Jan 18, 2006.

1. eViL cAkE

eViL cAkE Guest

Sep 6, 2001
    Just East of Dallas
    I've owned a plum purple Modulus Flea J5 with Bartolini J-Style pickups and Bartolini 3-band Preamp for about 3 1/2 years now, and have yet to covet another bassists axe since. :D

The bass just fits my concept of an ideal bass tone so well, and the instrument has a solid, just slightly bulky feel to the neck, which is fun to dig into and rock hard on. :bassist:

My first instrument was the tuba, and it figures, because I tend to like basses with thick lows, sparkly, but not clacky highs, and just slightly out of control, "splatty" mids. This bass definately fits that discription tonally.

Back to my question; Everyone else I've come across, or read about, that owns a Modulus Flea (4 or 5 string) has one with the standard Basslines Musicman-style pickup, and a lot of people describe the instrument as being "too aggressive." I wouldn't use those words to describe the J-style configuration model though. It does pretty much have just one "sweetspot" tone however, with a whole lot of mediocre ones, but that "sweetspot" tone is an awesome one indeed. That being said, it's not a, "get 100 tones out of one bass" kind of instrument.

Does anyone else out there own a Modulus Flea J5 and love it?
  2. bassjus

Mar 30, 2004
    I don't have the J's, but I do have a Lane Poor in mine, and like you, ever since I got it I havn't really cared to play anything else(ok, no quite, but you get the point) I love modulus.
  3. Z-Bass

Z-Bass Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2004
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Don't own one but did try out a Flea J4 and was knocked out by it. Almost bought it but procrastination got the best of me and it sold before I could get back to buying it. I was really taken by the playability and I thought there were a bunch of really useful tones in that bass. It was white with a black pearloid guard. Bart single coils and 3-band preamp. I really liked these over the single pickup versions.