1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Modulus Owners post here!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by xlows, Oct 23, 2006.

1. xlows

xlows

Oct 21, 2006
    Minnesota
    I'm looking into getting a Modulus Quantum 6 secondhand and some opinons on them from owners would be great, but I thought I might as well make a thread for you (us hopefully-and that being Modulus owners) guys while I was at it.

2. I have owned 2 of them in the past. Mine were early 90's. I had a fretted Quantum 5 bolt on with the bartolini pickups and cocabolo top and gold hardware, and an M-92-5 sweetspot fretless in candy apple red, gold hardware, and pearl pickguard. Both basses were very nice, but heavy. At the time I was using Ken Smith strings on all of my basses and didn't care for them on the Modulus. The Modulus has a 35" scale length, and with the Smith strings the silk windings were over top of the nut. This deadened the sound of the bass. I eventually used a razorblade to cut the silks before installation. But it was a pain to have to.
    I eventually sold them and went back with Pedulla basses.

3. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Commercial User

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder/Owner: Wing Instruments
    I've owned two in the past and currently own one. They are incredible basses. I prefer Bart pickups over the EMGs. I'm also contemplating replacing my Barts with Nordstrands when he comes out with a replacement. You can't go wrong. Quantums are classic.

4. Come on AJ, it's Zon over Modulus though, right? Post some pics of the 6-string sister to my Legacy!

Anyway ^_^;;

I owned a Modulus Quantum. It was a little to thin sounding with the Bartolini setup and I did not dig the 35'' scale length all that much. I also felt like the EQ really was not apparent.

5. GSRLessard14

GSRLessard14 All-Things-Claypool Enthusiast

Jun 23, 2005
    Newington, CT
    whoo.

6. Sorax

Sorax

Sep 9, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    I'm interested in the Q5 fretlesses. Anyone had experience with these?

7. fishstix

fishstix

Feb 28, 2006
    Wisconsin
    I have two Modulus basses, a Q5 and a Q6. The Q5 has a bubinga top EMGs and the EMG pre with the sweepable mid. The Q6 has a Chechen top Barts and an Aguilar OBP3 pre. I have both strung up with DR Extra Black Beauties. The action on my 6 is set up much better as it actually has a truss rod for adjustment as opposed to my older Q5 that does not. I really don't use my Q5 much anymore other than as a backup. The sound of the Barts with the Aguilar pre is way more of what I'm into now and the better playability of the Q6combine to make my Q5 a bit of a relic for me.
    Enjoy!

8. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    I have a Modulus Q6 with Maple top. Bart Pickups and 18Volt Bart Preamp.

The tone is consistent from the B to the C string. The C string can be sometimes too "thin" sounding.

Action is the best on the planet. Tone is great and very special. You will find that in a band situation you should cut some lows (Bart Setup) to add more definition.

Soloed... is the clearest sounding bass I have ever had. Lots of clarity and definition.

I did some mods to mine. I added series/parallel/single coil switches to my P-ups. It can sound amazing with those combinations.

9. I have an older M-92 5-string with an EMG (18v). I've always put DR Lo-Riders on it and I love the sound. I don't use it for everything, but you can't beat the B string and I think it sits well in the mix for Rock, For more jazzy stuff I just bump up the bass and cut the treble. I'd get a Q6 if I had the Money.

10. the_home

the_home Gold Supporting Member

Jul 14, 2005
    Pensacola, FL
    I have a Q4, which was my main bass until I moved up to 5 strings (and Roscoe). Loved the Quantum so much I picked up a VJ with villex pickups. Very versitile bass with a broad pallet of sounds. I'd love to pick up a Q5 sometime, but budgets are tight these days.

11. I currently own a Quantum 6 from 1991 with mahony body, zebrawood top, barts and an OBP-3. Also have a 1997 black sparkle Flea with OBP-1 and the Lane Poor pickup! Both incredible basses!

12. I paid 1600 for mine... worht every penny and more!

13. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I have owned two in the past--a Q5 and a Q6. They were both great basses. Mine had the Bart/Bart setups in them, which I greatly prefer over the EMG's. I might own one again someday, who knows.

14. imaroxtarrr

imaroxtarrr

Sep 24, 2006
    I have Custom Modulus Flea FBJ5! It was made for the '03 NAMM show, and unlike a regualr Flea bass it has a AAAA maple top stained in a dark cherry. It also has bartolini pickups and NTBT preamp. The B string sounds great too!

The Modulus necks are awesome...no dead spots or shifting...but I think I might like the sound of wood better. I am not sure to be honest! I love the clarity and evenness of this bass, but it doesn't have that sound that a wood bass would have.

I am thinking of selling this bass for something with a wood neck...what do you all think?

15. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    I have a Q6 fretless and a Modulus Genesis. They are great basses and worth the money.My Q6 does not have a trussrod and that has not been a problem. The instrument is 10 years old. I also owned a VJ4 and it was great also. Get it.... enjoy!!!

16. imaroxtarrr

imaroxtarrr

Sep 24, 2006
    i think i might sell that bass....if you are interested hit me up!