Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Jherrera, Dec 13, 2004.

1. Jherrera

Jherrera Guest

Sep 25, 2004
    any moe.rons on this here forum of musicians. just trying to see what people of think of rob (of moe. in case you didnt know) I love that band and wondering if others are equally amazed by his ability to play ridiculous parts and sing at the same time. Im seeing them at the michigan chicago and madison shows in febuary. Any thoughts on this bassist, opinions. Anybody who hasnt checked out moe. definetly should.
  2. I love moe. Unfortunately it's hard to find their stuff in this part of the world, but I have Wormwood, 'L' and the Season's Greatings EP...
  3. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Another Moe fan here! I really like their Warts & All series of C.D.'s, Rob really gets to stretch out on them :bassist:
  4. yeah, i've got a warts & all cd (volume 3 i think) and they are just awesome. personally i rank moe. after Phish, SCI, and Grateful dead in my rankings of my favorite jam bands. Rob is awesome, and can play all sorts of awesome basslines! you say they are playin in feb at madison? i have to go! i love jam bands!
  5. bentem

Oct 18, 2002
    Rockville, MD
    I like moe. a lot, probaly my favorite jam band after phish and the dead. Ive seen them twice, Rob really pushges the jams foward, asnd he sings over some tricky bass parts. He didnt really slap much when ive seen them, much less than he does on the recordings ive heard.

I saw umphrys magee last weekend, their bass player really reminded me of Rob, in fact the whole band reminded me a lot of moe.
  6. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I traded one of my amps to Al Schnier of Moe. fame. I had not heard their music before then, and I still have heard almost nothing of it now. But Al was a nice guy, and I got a Mesa/Boogie MKIIc+ out of the deal, so I guess I'm a fan.
  7. Jherrera

Jherrera Guest

Sep 25, 2004
    Personally Ive never been impressed by SCI and i dont understand why people like them. I understand why phish has a following (because they are awesome even though i prefer moe.) but ive tried giving SCI a chance, i admit they are great musicians but vocal-wise they are impressive and their jams leave me wanting more. and then theres the dead........... enough said about the best band ever.
  8. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    I've seen SCI a bunch of times and, while i dig their jams and their musicianship (kyle Hollingsworth is an absolutely amazing keyboard player), they get a little cheesey (NO pun intended, seriously) at times with their contrived "group hoots" and other vocal/banter malarkey. I guess that's just Kang doing his thing, but it just bugs me for some reason.

Plus, I saw them absolutely and embarrassingly BUTCHER Rush's Tom Sawyer :eek: a couple of years ago. I mean, it was one of the worst performances I've seen by a name band in memory.

They are from my area out here and you used to be able to catch them once or twice a month at the Fox for 5 bucks. They still seem like a "local band" to me.

As for moe., I'm a long time moe.ron, having seen them umpteen times. Most recently, I caught them during an etown taping in Boulder and they were solid as usual.

I was actually watching a DVD of them tonight (the winning "Home moe.vie" entry) which was filmed on 2/6/04 and I couldn't help but notice a decidedly lower energy level on their part. When I used to see them, their shows were about as energetic as it gets for jam bands, but they sort of seemed to be going through the motions somewhat. Maybe an off night, who knows.

I'd rank moe. near the top of the currently performing jam bands (keeping in mind that Phish is no longer performing, Widespread is on hiatus- and Mikey is gone - and the Dead is, of course, Jerryless :( ), but I'd also rank Umphrey's McGee near the top these days.

But to be honest, the band that is doing the jam thing the best right now, in my opinion, is actually Primus. Of all of the jam-oriented bands I've seen and heard, Primus (not normally a band that one would consider a "jam band", but one that has, in many respects, become one) is doing it better than anyone right now, in my opinion. Check out a performance of "My Friend Fats", "Southbound Pachyderm" or "American Life" from the past couple tours and you'll know exactly what I'm talking about.
  9. Jherrera

Jherrera Guest

Sep 25, 2004
    yeah moe had an off night at the rave in milwakee a month or so ago, i didn't go but my freinds who went said i didnt miss anything compared to the ones we've seen before. But im seeing 3 times in febuary and when moe is on, they are ON. as for umphreys i dont like they're style, they are tight but they ruin the groove with their stopping and starting and then doing a bunch of 16th notes together. sure its cool but when your dancing to the music and they pull one of those usddenly your having a seizure trying to keep with it. They also seem pretty choreographed as if a lot of it is planned, i dunno. Widespread is awesome and when they come off hiatus they will rage.
  10. jkritchey

Jul 23, 2002
    Northern Va.