1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Monday 9/20/10: Don't sell yourself short, yo!

Discussion in 'Ask Justin Meldal-Johnsen' started by jmjbassplayer, Sep 20, 2010.

1. jmjbassplayer

jmjbassplayer Justin Meldal-Johnsen Gold Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2005
    I just was reminded today that I should never sell myself short for a little gig unless people specifically request a break in price, because in spite of the economy sucking ballz, people will usually still have money to pay your rate if they called you! SO THERE.

On today's playlist, some music you need to get with, all of you, right now:

Husker Du, "Makes No Sense At All" from Flip Your Wig. Pure gold:

Eat it.

Love,
    JMJ

p.s. Check out my daughter at the LA County Fair yesterday. They had a weird ice sculpture exhibit, and here was the prize. Zelly with her Homies on ice. Sick, right?

2. BillyIVbass

BillyIVbass

Sep 24, 2008
    PA
    Gear Reviews Guitar World Online
    Phil and Phil era Genesis is my ultimate guilty pleasure. Lee Sklar and cheesy drums loops with real drums just occasionally showing up. I'm 25, my friends mock me, I tell them they weren't hugged enough growing up.

At 3am there is nothing more important than getting a gallon of milk and blowing any quarters in my pocket on the latest series of Homies...your daughter's ice beyond ballin'!

3. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    even though i'm sure that's just some harmless current hiphop phrase that means something good, i probably would have chosen a different way to say it.

4. BillyIVbass

BillyIVbass

Sep 24, 2008
    PA
    Shooooot, Pardon me, I'm from the suburbs. I meant nothing offensive.

5. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    :D

6. BillyIVbass

BillyIVbass

Sep 24, 2008
    PA
    I mean I listen to Phil Collins, you think I know any gangster lingo? If England Dan didn't sing about it, I don't know what it means.

7. Jerose

Jerose

Nov 28, 2005
    Syracuse, NY
    I just bought Washed Out's Life of Leisure EP on iTunes because of this post. Such an awesome song.

Thanks Justin!

8. russellmania

russellmania

Mar 25, 2010
    Brooklyn, NY
    WIRE!!!! I have the 180g Reissues of Pink Flag/Chairs Missing/154... I love the later and newer stuff as well and this track rules, made my day.

9. MN_Bass

MN_Bass Gold Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2008
    Minnesota
    Great Husker cut, do you dig the Replacements JMJ?

10. Bjazzman

Bjazzman

Dec 7, 2004
    Madison WI
    i just left minneapolis so thank you for that husker song!

11. TRichardsbass

TRichardsbass Inactive Commercial User

Jun 3, 2009
    Between Muscle Shoals and Nashville
    Bassgearu, Music Industry Consulting and Sales. Tech 21, NBE Corp, Sonosphere.
    Thanks Justin, for keeping your rates right so that we all don't have to give anyone the JMJ discount! LOL!

See ya 'round...

12. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    at some point i quit quoting a rate because it turned out i would sometimes get way more if i kept my mouth shut ;)

13. pbass2

pbass2

Jan 25, 2007
    Los Angeles
    This is so true----I always try and get 'em to show their hand first.

"Take Me Home"---yep, total guilty pleasure--DX7s and Linn Drums (or thereabouts). Man, I'm gonna go buy it now . . .

14. GregC

GregC Questlove, Black Thought, Hamilton Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    Oh man, the Huskers. That's right in my wheelhouse, Justin. I think the influence of their beautiful noise is underestimated.

Thanks for the cool latter-day Wire cut and reminding me how good AMC was--a band I've always meant to get into, but haven't. Try as I might, I still can't get down with Phil--too much exposure back then.

I would be shocked if Justin wasn't into the 'Mats.

15. jmjbassplayer

jmjbassplayer Justin Meldal-Johnsen Gold Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2005
    I love Replacements. How they always sounded so pretty amidst their trashiness. Simply: songwriting.

16. MN_Bass

MN_Bass Gold Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2008
    Minnesota
    Right On, Westerberg is a amazing songwriter.

17. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 25, 2021