1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mooer Tender Mk1 and Mk2 Shootout (plus OC-2)

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by kesslari, Sep 30, 2017.

1. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Fusion Cats Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    All recorded pretty quickly this afternoon. Pardon the playing, I tried to be as consistent as I could.
    Also I'm not a big FX guy so I don't have all the coolest settings worked out.
    Each clip is labeled. Everything was recorded Zon-FX-SonicFarm 2di4-Focusrite Scarlett Solo.

FWIW, the OC-2, when off, did have a noticeable effect on the bass's tone. Neither Moorer pedal had any impact on the bass's tone when they were off.

First, if you care, the riff with unaltered bass.

Next, the old reliable OC-2

Mooer Tender (Mk1) - Sub only (set to 2:00), no upper octave.

Mooer Tender (Mk2) - Sub only (set to 2:00), no upper octave. "Fat" setting.

Mooer Tender (Mk2) - Sub only (set to 2:00), no upper octave. "Tight" setting.

Mooer Tender (Mk2) - Sub only (set to 2:00), no upper octave. "Swell" setting.

Mooer Tender (Mk1) - Sub set to noon, upper octave set to 2:00.

Mooer Tender (Mk2) - Sub set to noon, upper octave set to 2:00. "Fat" setting.

Mooer Tender (Mk2) - Sub set to noon, upper octave set to 2:00. "Tight" setting.

Mooer Tender (Mk2) - Sub set to noon, upper octave set to 2:00. "Swell" setting.

Mooer Tender (Mk2) - Sub set to 2:00, upper octave set to 2:00. "Swell" setting.
    OctaverTenderShoots - TenderMk2SubAndUpSwellMoSub

Last edited: Sep 30, 2017
  2. smperry

smperry Administrator Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Thanks for recording these! Very interesting.

I only listened to the sub settings, but I might lean towards MK2 for the Fat setting. Less into the other settings, but one fave is good enough for me. I thought at first that I preferred MK1 but it sounds a little out of tune in spots (or maybe I'm hearing things). I don't love the OC2 in this application. For the band I played with last week, the dirty quality of the OC2 was perfect with fuzzy guitars though.

kesslari likes this.
  3. smperry

smperry Administrator Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    I also wanted to say, man, these Mooer pedals are crazy good for the price (I'm assuming MK2 is similarly priced). Even though I have an OC2 and an H9, I might want to snag a MK2.

kesslari likes this.
  4. LSMFT6

LSMFT6 We brake for nobody Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2006
    California
    None
    Thanks for the demos, the mkI and mkII do sound like the tracking is fairly similar

kesslari likes this.
  5. veryvery

veryvery

May 23, 2016
    CA
    Thank you! Definitely interested in upgrading. I'm wondering how the Pro sounds in comparison to these two?

kesslari likes this.
  6. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Fusion Cats Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    Good question, one that I can't answer. OTOH, part of the attraction of these "non-Pro" models is the form factor.
    How can they stuff such great sound into such a tiny box? :bassist:

veryvery and LSMFT6 like this.
  7. LSMFT6

Aug 16, 2006
    California
    None
    I’ve got a mkII on order, once it arrives I’ll be able to directly compare all three versions

jazznrick and veryvery like this.
  8. Thanks for the shoot out. I wasn't even aware of the MKII before this thread.

I jumped on a MK1 when they were getting scarce after being discontinued.
    Will have to try the MKII now.

dkelley likes this.
  9. flacoclef

flacoclef Supporting Member

Sep 10, 2000
    Texas
    Thanks!

10. Same same, though why are they dog dick pink?

11. ugly_bassplayer

ugly_bassplayer Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2009
    Québec
    Imo the mkii is one of the worst octave pedals I've ever owned (I've had quite a few)

Horrible lag tracking the lower octave. High octave for some magical voodoo reason is not tracked accurately by harmonizer pedals. With the POG high octave I've never had this problem.

IMO

12. RattleSnack

RattleSnack

Sep 22, 2011
    Europe
    I used Mooer Tender Octave MK2 for couple of months. Tracking was OK, upper octave alse. But lower octave was IMO unusable - muffled undefined sound. I tried it with two bass guitars, preamp before or after.
    Sold it, bought Valetone OC-10 (Boss OC-2 clone) and got good sounding, tight and usable lower octave.

13. LSMFT6

Aug 16, 2006
    California
    None
    You should still try the mkI if you ever get the chance, the lower octave is totally different from the mkII and sounds amazing.

whamni and nolezmaj like this.
  14. whamni

whamni

Jul 16, 2017
    U.K
    I'm looking the earth for a Mk 1 after seeing this on you tube, a great double bass sound ! Go to 3:15 in the video

Last edited: Aug 2, 2018
    kesslari likes this.
  15. Dagnabbit!

I thought it was going to be a double bass played through the Tender Octaver.

I'll have to copy those settings, and then play my DB through it.

kesslari likes this.
  16. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Thanks for the comparison clips. That took some thought and work. Greatly appreciated. Nice riffing too! Sounded good.

I think I’ll stick with my MIJ OC-2 for the time being. It does everything that I want it for, and I’m used to it’s quirks and gotchas after all this time. But I do want to check out those two Mooers now. :)

kesslari likes this.
  17. LSMFT6

Aug 16, 2006
    California
    None

Check Soundlot.com, I saw one on there recently

EDIT: it’s gone. Those things are coveted for a reason!

Last edited: Jul 26, 2018