More google OS speculation

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Davidoc, Jan 31, 2006.

1. Well it could be good to have someone the size of google on our side, only if they don't try to take an open source OS and make it something proprietry (though actually I think that's against the gpl)
  2. phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    If it's only going to be some sort Linux distro, then no thanks. My experiences with Linux were pretty disappointing when I tried to do something other than browsing the web and reading mail.
  3. It sure does sound as though it's just another Linux distro with the "Goo" prefix attached to attract attention.

As of late, Google sure has been losing public face.
  4. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    How so?
  5. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
  6. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    All of the stuff I've been reading has Google soaring. Google stock is pretty ridiculous, and top Microsoft execs are furious at how fast it's growing. It's been expanding quickly (and effectively) while maintaining it's "good guy" image. Everytime anyone at Google casually mentions something they *think* they *might* do, it's all over the press. Google's riding high at the moment.
  7. That's not entirely true.

After the China debacle, the atrocity that is their video store, the lackluster Talk program, and the most recent head-scratcher that was the Google pack, their stock dropped off by a couple of dollars.

Sure, they're doing well, but the public is starting to grow weary of Google's tendency to claim, "Hey, it might not be good, but its only a beta!"

What starting to become apparent, is Google's initiative to make big on their integration of advertisements anywhere they wish to put'em, hence all of crap they've been pumping out as of late.
  8. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Good thing I'm not a stock broker. :D
  9. What are your experiences? Did you try more than one distro? I've been on linux for 5 years now and I'd never switch back to Redmond's expensive, buggy and virus prone OS.
  10. I tried a whole bunch of different distros in an effort to breath new life into my wife's aging lappy (Stinkpad 600E) but it was a tricky business to get it set up - Ubuntu was a bit slow, as was Knoppix, DSL was too basic for her needs (computer novice) and BeatrIX was nice, but lacked some essentials like the ability to use USB. I liked Ubuntu a lot running as a live CD on my own, more powerful lappy but there are things like lack of wifi support that need to get ironed out and in the basic distro before it'll really take on XP.

Computer buffs like Linux - and I really like the principle of it - but there's still a long way for it to go before it becomes as "plug and play" as XP. Unfortunately.