Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

more modification stupidity

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by clanner, Jun 1, 2005.

1. clanner

clanner Token Black Guy.

Apr 27, 2005
    ummmmm, marietta GA
    ok, aside from wanting to make a 6+ string T-bird,

would I be wrong to try and add an extra Pup to the bongo? either SC or prefferably H? tell me what you think, once I have funds, a whole slew of "unique" mods should be on the way.

p.s. (can anyone do a mock-up in photo shop?)

2. Beav

Beav Graphics Whore

Jul 17, 2003
    Middle Tennessee
    Designer: Beav's Graphics
    What color/pickup config do you have?

3. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    Besides the fact that there's not much room to work with in any model but the single humbucker, I cannot imagine how complex this wiring job would be.

4. clanner

clanner Token Black Guy.

Apr 27, 2005
    ummmmm, marietta GA
    working on getting a bongo from either daddy'os or a recent connection from my uncle who says his brother in law can get any bass, just need to work out what i can get,

I'm actually ok at wiring now compared to a month or so ago, this is going to take a while to get set up, I was just wandering what oppinions of this would be.

5. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
    If there's any possibility that you might need to resell/trade in the bass in the future, you'd be best to avoid this. Any modification seriously affects resale values of MM basses. You can get Bongos with H, HH and SH pickup configurations any way, so why bother?

Have you seen a Bongo preamp?

6. clanner

clanner Token Black Guy.

Apr 27, 2005
    ummmmm, marietta GA
    I don't plan on selling the bass I modify, I have the schematics dowloaded from the MM site, it's just an Idea for the future, it may happen, it may not,

I know about the pickup configs and plan on obtaining an HH 5 for gigging, it wil remain un-modified,

I'm tossing around Ideas to see what kind of reaction I would get from other bassists and if they would think it was an incredibly stupid idea or something ingeneous. I just thought it would be interestingif it would work and what it would look like, I intend to experiment with this is coming years aswell as with the 6 string t-bird. all in good fun.

p.s. still can't imagine how it would sound

7. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
    I doubt that too many would be that impressed by the addition of a pickup to a bass... it's been done before. A lot.

While not going as far as saying your plan is "stupid", I think it would be a much better idea to obtain a bass and play with it a while without thinking about modifying it. Then, if it occurs to you that the bass is lacking something that you could rectify through modification, knock yourself out.

8. FireAarro

FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    austr-
    The Bongo pickups are pretty unique, I'm not sure you'll be able to find a good match for them.

9. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    No offense, but why would you think you were better at designing the Bongo than the guys who spent years designing the Bongo?

To add a third pickup simply to add a third pickup seems like a silly reason to add a third pickup. And, you haven't downloaded any schematics from the MM website, either. You might have downloaded a diagram of the preamp controls, but that doesn't really tell you much about the build.

Do what you want--it's certainly not impossible. It just seems like a tremendous waste of money/resources to buy a Bongo to experiment with in that manner.

If you really want to experiment with pickup configs, I'd recommend getting a body blank of your preferred wood, and have a standard neck pocket cut to accept a Fender neck (Warmoth will do this very thing for you). Then, add a bridge, and route to your little tinkering heart's desire.

It worked well enough for Leo Fender.

10. clanner

clanner Token Black Guy.

Apr 27, 2005
    ummmmm, marietta GA
    I"m not tryign to improve on the design, the guys at ebmm have done an amazing job with all of the bongo medels, and I plan on buying a bongo I will never modify, i just want to try something different, like adding a passive/active switch, or a pup, I just want to create.

I've played plenty of fenders, and I'm not really interested in a look alike, all the basses I've been attracted too have looked funky or bizzare.

sorry if I made it sound like I was trying to improve on the design, but I wanted to try something, I know people have added pups to basses before, but I wanted an opinion on what people thought.

it shall be a franken bass, and chances are I'll figure out this cost too much money and I won't even start it.

11. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
    A better idea, given you have a notion to tinker with electronics etc. is to build your own with parts from Warmoth or a similar company. You like off-the-wall designs... how about a Mockingbird body shape?

[​IMG]