1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

More whining from me!

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Stinsok, Sep 26, 2010.

1. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    We played Friday and things were good for the most part. The last set, our drummer was acting looney. Before the start of t he last set someone gives our singer $20.00 for an acoustic request. He does it before the rest of the band goes up. During that song the drummer says to me, "Dude, this is the way we ought to do all our last sets...Just let Jimmy sing while we tear down. We'd be through by the end of the set." He was serious.

Once the whole band started there were periods in high energy songs he would seemingly fall out of the song. He complained that there weren't many people in the club--- we should just quit, play slow stuff, why waste energy? "Man, we've been playing 4 hours!" We had to tell him that it doesn't matter that it's nearly 2 in the morning and there aren't many people there...we were contracted to WORK!

2. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Is this the drummer's first band? Sounds like he didn't read the rest of the book of - what it really takes to gig.

3. four hours is a long time to swing your arms and operate your legs,and i can see where some guys might fade a little.....and i can see it being a tad disheartening to play a high energy set only to have someone offer a band member extra money to play solo the next....

4. troy mcclure

troy mcclure Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2007
    Central Florida
    I get it, sometimes i have to remind myself to t smile and act like I am enjoying myself during the last set...but the audience can sense when you are phoning it in..so tell him suck it up

5. Stinsok

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    I am a drummer, and I know you can get tired. I never bitched about it though.

6. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    I'm a gigging drummer, too. Yup, that last hour is rough when it's 2 or 3 in the morning. But - it's part of the job. Period.
    Definitely the time to - suck it up.

7. Marko 1

Marko 1

Mar 9, 2009
    N.E. Ohio
    Your post reads like this was a first-time thing for him.

He may have just not been feeling well, maybe something emotional causing him to have an off night.

Unless it were a regular thing, I’d be supportive and encouraging to get him through the night.

:)

8. Stinsok

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    It's been building. Not wanting to practice, at other gigs he is slow to get to the stage when it's time to start or come back from breaks, etc. He complains about getting paid. In our area, a small band playing in small clubs is not going to make 1500.00 a night like he wants.

9. Marko 1

Marko 1

Mar 9, 2009
    N.E. Ohio
    Apparently he’s just not happy with the situation, and lost his spirit to play.

Definitely a problem...

10. Stinsok

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    That's what we think. He just isn't into it.

11. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    You guys are playing until 2 in the morning? What time do you start, and how much do these gigs pay you in general?

12. Stinsok

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    For this one place, it's 10 to 2. We make 125 to 150.00 a piece for a little club. Average for our little town. That's with him showing up after the heavy lifting and with no expense to him other than his personal equipment.

13. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Jan 27, 2010
    Nashville
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    He needs to put his big girl panties on. There are guys out there who'd be thrilled to get $150 for a 10 to 2.

14. Marko 1

Marko 1

Mar 9, 2009
    N.E. Ohio
    +1

:)

15. when I get tired I pretend I'm a big prawn star & keep on chuggin

16. johnboy65

johnboy65

May 22, 2009
    well, get rid of him.

17. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    That's not too bad money-wise. I'd play until 2 for that. Around here, it's unheard of to go past 1 am.

18. Just to be clear, you mean $150 per man? If so, that's pretty good. Definitely worth 4-6 hours of work (including load in and out).

19. Stinsok

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    Most of the time it's 125.00. For me personally, If I make some cheese, drink a couple of beers and play some music I am happy!

20. smeet

smeet Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Man, making $150 a man is pretty hard here in LA. Tell him to suck it up, if bands don't put on a good show, it'll be that much sooner that the bars around there will start using DJs instead of bands.