Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Morrisey's bassist WOW!!

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by lawndart, Nov 23, 2004.

1. lawndart

lawndart

Oct 4, 2003
    Northern NJ
    Who is this guy?? I just borrowed my gf's cds and on the song "Everyday is Like Sunday" the bass is so clean and hollow sounding. And his countermelody is just outstanding!!!!! I crave his tone...need his tone!!
    Is he the same bassist for the the Smiths as well?

2. producer Stephen Street played bass on "every day is like sunday", and the rest of the Viva hate album.

3. lawndart

lawndart

Oct 4, 2003
    Northern NJ
    thank you.....do you happen to know what type of bass he used? Sounds like a hollowbody, no?

4. cowsgomoo

cowsgomoo gone to Longstanton Spice Museum

Feb 8, 2003
    UK
    he's not the same bass player for the Smiths, that was Andy Rourke (who is well worth a listen)

5. lawndart

lawndart

Oct 4, 2003
    Northern NJ
    Ive been listening to the Smiths for a while and am familar with Rourke, but iv just been getting into Morrisey's solo stuff.

6. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    I don't know anything about Stephen Smith, but Andy Rourke is fantastic, as is Johnny Marr (Smith's guitar player.)

I believe Andy used a P-bass and a pick most of the time, and I really liked his tone. If the song in question sounds anything like most Smith's songs then you have your answer.

I don't listen to the Smiths that often, all because of Morrissey's voice. He's just too annoying, he ruins everything for me.

7. I think it's the same setup as Andy Rourke used- P bass + pick. that whole album seems to be a deliberate recreation of the Smiths' sound (stephen street also produced The Smiths)