1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Moses Neck Question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rusty the Scoob, Jul 23, 2012.

1. I bought a used Moses neck here on TB and when I got it, one of the four threaded inserts for the neck-bolt-mounting screws was missing.

Can I buy one at my local hardware store or really good specialty fastener store and glue it in somehow?

2. Syco_bass

Syco_bass Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2008
    Tucson, Arizona
    Custom builder - Arizona Bass Company/Curcio Custom Basses
    That should work. Howeer, You can also call or e-mail Moses. They'll send you a replacement. Make sure you use epoxy.

Peace.

3. Thanks, Syco! Moses will sell me the inserts for a reasonable price and also told me what to look for at the hardware store in case I decide to go that route.

Epoxy is exactly what I had in mind but didn't want the thread to start out biased. Any particular type I should look for?

4. deeptubes

deeptubes

Feb 21, 2011
    Virginia Beach
    Did you pick up a fretted or fretless? I'm leaning toward getting a fretless Moses and converting my Fender HM.

5. Fretted. I can't give much of a review of it quite yet though.:p

6. Syco_bass

Syco_bass Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2008
    Tucson, Arizona
    Custom builder - Arizona Bass Company/Curcio Custom Basses
    Hey Rusty, sorry for the delay in reply. I like JB Weld for this application. It sets up in a couple of hours or so and cures in 24 hours. You can drill it, file it, sand it, thread it, paint it, what ever and will keep your inserts in place. You can either fill the hole and re-drill for your insert or simply install the insert with the JB Weld. Be careful not to get it on the inside threads and make sure there is enough clearence for your bolts to not bottom out. If you have a set of calipers, you can measure the depth and length of the bolt so you get it right.

Good luck.