1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mosrite Mono "300"? Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by yahtzee1280, May 14, 2019.

Tags:
  1. What I know about it.
    1: It's an early 70s Mosrite 300 Mono with a single pickup in the bridge position.
    2: I have found almost NOTHING about these basses (single bridge pickup 300s) and have only seen pictures of 2 others while googling about it

How actually rare are these?

It is in Fairly good condition, with original hardshell case... plays great and has an awesome Big Thump to with that old 70s humbucker.
    I would really like to know more about it since my research has come up with just about nothing other than not very many are pictured and/or published to the internet. DSC00274.JPG DSC00275.JPG DSC00277.JPG DSC00280.JPG DSC00281.JPG DSC00282.JPG DSC00283.JPG DSC00284.JPG DSC00285.JPG DSC00286.JPG DSC00287.JPG DSC00288.JPG DSC00289.JPG DSC00291.JPG DSC00292.JPG DSC00293.JPG

Last edited: May 14, 2019
    nixdad, Uncle K, giacomobass and 7 others like this.
  2. flojob

flojob Gold Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2011
    No idea. Cool bass though.

nixdad likes this.
  3. mikewalker

mikewalker Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2017
    Canada, Eh!

reminder :)

Rule #3: Off-limit Topics & Forum-Specific Rules Controversial topics will be VERY closely moderated. Politics and religious debate/discussion are not allowed in any forum unless specifically allowed by the forum's posted rules ("sticky" threads). All gear 'for-sale' and 'wanted' text must be limited to posts in the TalkBass Classifieds category. The Bass Guitar Classifieds are open to Supporting Members only. If you want to post your 'for sale' or 'wanted' text in your signature, a Supporting Membership is required. "What's it worth" posts for personal instruments are limited to Supporting Members. If you'd like more info on becoming a supporting member, please see this page. Solicitations for charity are not allowed in the public forums. You are responsible for noting any forum-specific rules pinned to the top of any forum. For example, please note the Bass Guitar Classifieds Rules and the Off Topic forum rules

4. Fixed

mikewalker likes this.
  5. Bump for an awesome old bass... Just want to know a bit more about it

MCF likes this.
  6. UNICORN BASS

UNICORN BASS

Feb 10, 2016
    Michigan USA
    That zero fret set up is art.

JIO and yahtzee1280 like this.
  7. JIO

JIO shaken - not stirred Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 30, 2010
    The Mission SF/CA
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    Thanks for posting - it's pretty awesome

MCF likes this.
  8. mikewalker

mikewalker Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2017
    Canada, Eh!
    I would say "Über-rare", at least in my neck of the woods. Never seen that model before. In 20+ years of buying and selling vintage basses in Vancouver (previous millennium) - I think I have ever only seen five Mosrite basses, and three of those were hanging in a New Westminster dealership...

JIO likes this.
  9. Rabidhamster

Rabidhamster

Jan 15, 2014
    I've seen them before. Not too common. Mosrite necks are VERY thin, but otherwise they're generally fantastic instruments - typically appreciated most by surf and grunge players in the public eye.

It doesnt sound as much like a stingray as you'd expect, but its a very cool sound

10. JIO

JIO shaken - not stirred Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 30, 2010
    The Mission SF/CA
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    The wormy S-curve pg design was initially done by Danelectro (late 50's) and was also gleaned by Japanese guitars in the 60's - Mosrite designs were a conglomerate of the designs floating around during that heady period. My favorite part beside the zero-fret string guide and M-shaped tuner pegs is the blobby shaped neck plate - :thumbsup:

11. rashrader

rashrader

Mar 4, 2004
    Baltimore, MD
    I’d buy that for a dollar.

Very cool!!

12. MCF

MCF

Sep 1, 2014
    US
    Maybe try contacting Artie at Front Porch Music in Bakersfield. He has a fantastic collection of Mosrites.

Front Porch Music | Bakersfield's historic music store

13. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Very, very cool bass. If I had that it would be tempting to park some more expensive basses and show that one off when I play gigs.

yahtzee1280 likes this.
  14. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Want, want, WANT!

Pilgrim likes this.
  15. That's a great looking bass. Semie made so many one-offs and custom orders that yours could be a one-of-a-kind build. Those duckfeet tuners are made of unobtanium. Most of the basses equipped with them had at least one tuner break off so be very careful with them.

Rick B.

16. blastoff

blastoff

Sep 5, 2007
    way out west
    Hi! sorry to resurrect an older thread, i thought id chime in. I've got one of these basses. i absolutely love it. they're certainly rare, but not a one off by any stretch. I've seen a few out there (in photos). there was even a two pickup model 350 "stereo" bass, as well as guitar versions of this body style. maybe its the lighting, but yours seems rather darker than mine. do you still have it?
    heres a picture of mine next to, um, another short scale... IMG_0384.jpg

17. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

Thanks for sharing that pic. I don't think I've ever seen that model.

18. 101Volts

101Volts

Nov 8, 2009
    I've been documenting the 300 and 350 models. Both kinds came as Guitar, and Bass. If they're not purely 1970s (say, 1971 - 74 or 75) then I'd be surprised. It's possible that Mosrite made a few later on, but I've never seen one yet.

The 300, as shown here, is the cheaper but rarer of the models; Mosrite's 350 (two pickups) model is far more common. I have only 4 different 300 Basses on the serial numbers list (counting the two pictured in this thread.) KB0048 is the highest of the three, so I'm assuming there are at least 48 of them, but these rarely ever show up in the first place. Comparatively, for the 350 Basses, I have 14 documented. 8 with serial numbers (the highest being AB0117,) 1 without a number, and 5 that I don't know the numbers of.

Here's a ink to my currently newest (June 12th, 2020) update to the Serial Numbers List:

Mosrite 300 and 350 Serial Numbers? (Guitar and Bass) - Page 6 - mosriteforum.com

Is your 300 Bass KB0033, KB0053, or KB0063? The number's just after the highest fret. I tried to zoom in, but I'm having difficulty telling what that one digit is.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2020
    blastoff and flojob like this.
  19. blastoff

blastoff

Sep 5, 2007
    way out west
    oh hi! just noticed this reply. i will gladly get you that serial # tomorrow. i just ordered the beautiful and beat up blue stereo 350 that was on eb/verb. didn't need another bass... :-/ sure is pretty though. pics to follow

101Volts likes this.
  20. blastoff

blastoff

Sep 5, 2007
    way out west
    @101Volts here is my mono 300 in what i wold call very close to Fender's Mocha/Walnut brown/translucent. i got it locally several years ago at a guitar shop where it was hanging on the wall for almost a year. i couldn't stop thinking about it and since the proprietor was a friend, i traded him a few things and got a great deal on it. it has what i can only assume is the original case, with luxurious green interior and alligator trim. and you were right: KB0063. its a very high quality instrument. it intonates perfectly and has a very even response on every single fret. it feels rather "boutique" especially for a vintage guitar. is there a Mosrite fan club [support group] here on TB? ive put in an 'application" on mosriteforum.com. let me know if you'd like any more angles or info. as i said ive got AB0036 in the mail right now. i would love to see any older photos of it that you may have. i commend your efforts to catalogue these cool and rare pieces of california/ musical history, and ive always found that the individual histories- or pedigrees, or provenances- of guitars are fascinating. who may have owned it, what changes, modifications, it has gone through.
    upload_2020-7-27_22-13-15.jpeg upload_2020-7-27_22-13-15.jpeg upload_2020-7-27_22-13-15.jpeg upload_2020-7-27_22-13-15.jpeg upload_2020-7-27_22-13-15.jpeg upload_2020-7-27_22-13-15.jpeg upload_2020-7-27_22-13-15.jpeg upload_2020-7-27_22-13-15.jpeg upload_2020-7-27_22-13-15.jpeg upload_2020-7-27_22-13-15.jpeg upload_2020-7-27_22-13-15.jpeg

101Volts likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 1, 2021