1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Most underrated BASSES

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pbass2, Mar 1, 2008.

1. pbass2

pbass2

Jan 25, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Lots of most underrated BASSISTS polls of course, but how about basses?
    Granted, every axe has it's special qualities, but I'm talking about great solid pro basses, that hold down the fort as well as their more respected/common peers, but still don't get enough love.

I will start with two I have owned/still own:
    Yamaha BB1200 and G&L L2500

2. ROON

ROON

Aug 5, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    Any Ibanez or ESP/LTD bass.

3. +10000 :)

4. Cort Artisan series

5. Mofo-Kang

Mofo-Kang

Aug 26, 2006
    Modesto, CA
    Yamaha BB414

[​IMG]

6. cigi

cigi

Aug 22, 2006
    +1

I just bought a Yamaha bbg4a and I was AMAZED by the quality.

It is a really solid instrument that plays and sounds amazing. I can't believe they can make such instruments at those pices and have that little popularity.

[​IMG]

http://users.fulladsl.be/spb30809/Yammieb+n.mp3

Cort has also great value/price ratio.

:hyper:

7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Yamaha TRB5P-II.

Yammer01tb.

8. GabeN

GabeN

Feb 27, 2006
    Chugiak, AK
    Peavey basses really don't get the recognition they deserve.

9. whizack

whizack

Oct 23, 2007
    Laguna Ocean basses, the few times I've picked them up their tone has always surprised me.

10. pedroims

pedroims

Dec 19, 2007
    Michigan
    I will say yamaha, I have a BB404 wich I paid $100 usd the neck feels just like my lakland DJ, and sounds amazing for a $100 bass, also weight is very light.

bajo018.

11. RBrownBass

RBrownBass Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2004
    Peavey Foundation
    Yamaha BB404/405, BBN4/N5
    Spector NS-2A
    Lakland 55-01
    MTD Kingston Heir
    Kawai FII-B
    Tokai Jazz Sound

All but the Peavey were built by Asians, which might explain their lack of respect on the Internet.

12. ljazz

ljazz

Dec 10, 2002
    Cookeville, TN
    G&L SB1 & SB2

Wicked basses.

Ljazz

13. Cort RB-5 :hyper:

Picture001.

& SX basses

sx_basses_full2.

14. ljazz

ljazz

Dec 10, 2002
    Cookeville, TN

That's because it doesn't have enough knobs.

15. Famous Shamus

Famous Shamus Supporting Member

Feb 22, 2008
    NYC
    I own two Signature basses and both are great sounding players. One I have plays and sounds as good as any American Fender J Bass; the other one I have is even better than the first (its the Limited Edition model) and is a step beyond in sound and playability.

Before you ask Signature Bass is the name of the COmpany who put these basses out; not a signature bass from a particular artist;)

Oh yeah, also the old ATK by Ibanez...very underrated

16. El-Bob

El-Bob Supporting Member

Oct 22, 2006
    Hamilton, ON
    i love my peavey millennium bxp-5, like ibanez and esp, it's better than just about anything in it's price range, and better than many basses costing more IMO. i love it.

+1, any esp/ltd or ibanez i've played (this also goes for their g*****s) has been an overall better instrument in terms of sound, playability, and build quality, than most other instruments in the same, or higher price range.

17. Carvins seem to get a bad rap around the internets and in my local area because, and I quote, 'a lot of christian bands use them'. A lot of people really pick on the electronics, but the new pre-amp and soapbars have fixed that issue, as far as I'm concerned. Playability on them is right up there with the big guys (Warrior's bolt-ons being a directly comparable offering, from what I've seen), and their prices are very hard to beat for the quality of product.

That said, they do seem to be slipping a bit, some employees aren't being trained correctly and some orders are getting messed up (like my six string, but I love it anyway).

18. SUNNyday r.

SUNNyday r.

Oct 17, 2006
    Bay Area
    Peavey Fury. Dillion. Danelectro Longhorn. Some of my own and favorites.

19. GM60466

GM60466

May 20, 2006
    Land of Lakland
    Yamaha TRB4

G

20. Jjango

Jjango

Nov 16, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Really? That's the first time I've ever heard that. The criticism I always hear is about "lackluster sounding electronics".

The fact that so many gospel players play Ken Smiths doesn't seem to have given Smith basses a "bad rap".