Most Versatile Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tobias2237, Sep 10, 2010.

1. tobias2237

tobias2237

Oct 6, 2007
    So I've been playing on a Tobias Toby Pro 5 string for 8 years now (I'm 20 now). I'm now looking to upgrade. As usual my budget is tight (I want to spend less than $1200). I primarily play jazz but I do gigs in just about every style. Since I am a fan of Tobias, I am leaning towards the MTD Kingston KZ5 string as I really like the feel of the bass and the ability to adjust the tone with the built in pre-amp. However, part of me is leaning toward a musicman bass.

Can anyone let me know if I'm making the right choice? Or do you have any suggestions of basses that can get a better smooth jazz sound?

2. becker4567

becker4567

Jul 26, 2008
    I'm just curious. What is it about the Tobias that you don't like? Upgrading is fine as long as you really upgrade, but change just for the sake of change is something I've never really understood. Whenever another bass player asks me what the most versatile bass is or the what's best bass for metal/jazz/funk/or anything else, I just tell them that it's the one you already have. If you just want a different bass, admit it and have fun picking one out, but don't say your Toby isn't versatile enough. Put some flats on it and see how smooth it becomes.

3. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    ya, nothing wrong with your bass. but i do get the need to own a different one. but picking a bass for someone else is like picking a wife for someone else.

4. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    But sometimes you should listen to your friends when they tell you what wife, errr, bass to buy.

BlueAliceOasis likes this.
  5. JCraig

JCraig

Dec 19, 2009
    Check out carvin basses. you can get a great feeling, great looking, great sounding bass for your ball park budget. you have a wide array of pickups to choose from, and in addition to that, you can get electronics that have the active/passive option. that seems to be a better option for flexibility than the all active all the time kz5. carvin basses are a lot of bang for your buck.

6. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    nobody ever does, though. besides, i actually listened once in high school. broke up with a girl because a friend told me something bad about her. next week, he's with her. boy was i mad!

BlueAliceOasis likes this.
  7. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    New England
    My Tobias Classic 5 is my most versatile bass.Twin barts & 18 volt pre-amp.
    Found it for $1000.00
    I like Carvins for the money , sound and playability.
    Don't overlook the used market.
    There is a ton of great used axes out there.
    Take your time and have fun.

8. tobias2237

tobias2237

Oct 6, 2007
    Well, I'm really interested in getting a bass with a built in pre-amp. Mine was modified before I bought it and changed to active pickups. I've been noticing that the tone is just a little too flat for my taste. I still love the way it feels and plays, I'm really just looking for a new sound.

9. jwr

jwr

Jun 28, 2010
    Overland Park, KS
    Get a Bongo. I recently went from playing a Stingray HH to a Bongo HH and am absolutely thrilled by how versatile this sucker is! One of the best basses I've had the pleasure of playing and pretty damn cheap IMO.

10. whocaresnotme

whocaresnotme

Jun 21, 2009
    I need a new crescent wrench. Would this technique help me?
    What is the best crescent wrench for metal?

11. Rafescow

Rafescow

Oct 21, 2009
    Ibanez Soundgear and BTB basses (mainly the former series) are well-known for their versality. Still some people underestimate them, saying that they "are made for metal and only metal", which is completely wrong according to my personal experience. Believe me or not, I get great tones with my SR535, from jazz/soul to the heaviest metal. It's got a 3-band EQ control, a mid frequency switch and PU balance control.
    Don't know if that would be what you're looking for though, since you seem to be focused on jazz. IMO, MM's would do a great job too.

12. Antares

Antares

Jul 18, 2009
    Austin, TX
    I would recommend checking out an Ibanez SR series bass. I find them to be very versatile. For your price you can probably find a nice prestige in real good shape. If not new with some discounts out there.

13. headstump

headstump

Oct 27, 2010
    Oregon
    The most versatile bass is the one that's in the hands of the most versatile bassist. To paraphrase Frank Zappa "talking about tone is like dancing about architecture" I'm convinced that with a little determination you can make any bass work for any style, its all in how you set up and attack the instrument. I'll play the game though. Smooth jazz tone = Jazz bass with smooth strings

14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 12, 2021