1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Most Vintage Sounding Hum-Cancelling Soapbar Pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by PraiseBassing, Apr 19, 2018.

1. PraiseBassing

PraiseBassing Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2017
    California
    What are my options? What will sound the most vintage AND have no hum, in the P2 shape? I want the vintage tone when on board eq is set flat, not something to tweak to get it out of. Just looking for what will get me closest. These will go in a 55-01 Deluxe. I appreciate your help TalkBass!

2. PraiseBassing

Mar 6, 2017
    California
    We'll see how the Honey Badger Heavy Hitters fit the bill. Currently waiting on a set from @Rodent

3. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    What does “vintage” sound like?

4. PraiseBassing

Mar 6, 2017
    California
    Maybe that is why no one responded...

I was hoping to just get many recommendations thrown at me from other peoples ears as to what they would consider a vintage bass guitar tone.

ctmullins likes this.
  5. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    I’ve never known what people mean by “vintage”, which is why I asked. Maybe I can learn something here too!

6. PraiseBassing

Mar 6, 2017
    California
    Maybe it is as simple as single coils and offset split coils? Maybe my question should have been, "Which hum-cancelling pickups that sound the most like single coils?" Not sure.

7. 4StringTheorist

4StringTheorist Supporting Member

I've never owned them, but several people on this forum have described the Nordstrand Big Splits in terms that I think you'd like. Like big sounding J pickups, but with a bit of P character to them, if I'm properly remembering a description from Mo here at TB. (or maybe it was Carey on a YouTube vid?)

8. PraiseBassing

Mar 6, 2017
    California
    That was what Nordstrand responded to my question with as well. Since I found very few clips of the Big Splits, I went with the Honey Badger Heavy Hitters based on the clips I could find. Their is the one from @Spfairchild as well as a few from @Brady Muckelroy on Facebook. In the end it was the Muckelroy videos on FB that swayed me.