Moves like jagger bass

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by stevemac, May 2, 2012.

1. stevemac

stevemac

Feb 24, 2011
    Guys help me out here... asked in the technique section but not sure it belongs there, you guys might be better to pick this out.

One of our band wants me to play the bass track for Maroon 5's moves like jagger "like on the studio version". I'm telling him there is no bass guitar on the studio version, just some bass synth and a heavy kick drum.

Maybe the solution is a bass synth effect?? Or do you guys hear a bass line in the studio version?

2. Calebmundy

Calebmundy

Apr 5, 2007
    Nashville
    Endorsing Artist: DNA Amplifiers
    I play the line as is. I run my big muff pretty damn loud, tap and slide octaves up into the note from a step below, and use my volume knob to get the fade in sound. It's mostly off-beats. I get some nice nods usually.

3. stevemac

stevemac

Feb 24, 2011
    Thats a cool idea, might see how that sounds myself!

4. arbitrary

arbitrary Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2005
    Boston, MA
    the chicken dance?

5. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    I watched a Maroon 5 concert on Direct TV about a week ago, and the bassist was certainly playing during that song.

6. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I disclose nothing
  7. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    I just use a ton of fuzz and play around with octaves, maybe jazz it up a little. I couldn't found a way to get that same synth tone with the effects I had that was satisfactory so I gave up and just went straight fuzz. No one notices the difference, as much as I wish they did.

8. EBR

EBR Commercial User

Jul 5, 2009
    Las Vegas
    Ashdown, Moollon, and Fishman artist
    Maybe its just the DBX 120a sub harmonic bass synth with a delay programmed to click. or not.... maybe no delay after listening again...

9. ThumbyAche

ThumbyAche Gold Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2005
    Colorado
    On the verses, I use a tad of auto wah, good amount of fuzz, and a tad of octave to cop the sound and it's close IMO. I definitely play the chorus funkier but it grooves pretty hard. I play that with pretty much no effects or just octave .

10. Britbonic

Britbonic Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Just started playing this song. I've played it with an octave pedal and on the B & E string of my SR5. Both worked pretty well as long as you have a nice deep sound. IMO the most important thing is the feel. It's very droney and there aren't a lot of notes, mostly B & E. And the key is the hits are upbeats, 1 AND 2 AND 3 AND 4 so play the note on the ANDs. Another important thing is to have the drummer play really straight. It's 4 on floor beat and lot's of places where it's just the kick.

I wasn't really a fan of this tune but now that play it I'm kinda digging it. Gonna experiment with some more effects to get close to that sound.

11. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I love this version.

zac2944 likes this.
  12. adamaarts

adamaarts

Apr 19, 2001
    Corona, CA
    Beta tester Source Audio, demos/reviews of many others
    To get really close without using a synth use a comp and gated style fuzz. Probably any fuzz would work good enough for live use.

For the swelling I'd use a compressor after the fuzz that has a fast attack to dip the volume every hit you play and hold it to let it 'fade' in. Im sure you could use a volume pedal but that'd tedious.

Just my 2 cents.

13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 19, 2021