1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Moving Tips?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Goatee220, Mar 26, 2013.

1. Goatee220

Goatee220 Bassist/Photographer/Goalie Gold Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2009
    Spring City, PA
    Any movers out there? My wife and I are buying a new house. We have a townhouse now and are moving to a single family home about 4 miles away. We have a lot of stuff (especially in our basement) as well as a 10 month old son. We're thinking of getting a POD for the small stuff and movers for the large items. Anyone have good tips for moving?

2. It is a great time/excuse to toss a bunch of stuff. The more you throw out, the less you have to move.

lowsound

3. fisticuffs

fisticuffs

May 3, 2011
    Madison, WI
    Movers? a Pod? Don't you have any friends with trailers or a flat bed? Are there no UHuals in your area? Pack stuff in boxes. Start now. Invite friends/family to help you move. Feed them pizza and beer. I've been in my house for 3 years. That's an all-time record for me in one place. I moved on average at least once a year since birth. It's not that hard.

4. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    +1

Ive left so many things behind that I could pretty much fit into one bedroom.

5. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Yep, clear the clutter. Make "need" and "want" piles. Toss/sell/trade the things you don't need. When we moved, we thought of it as a fresh start.

-Mike

6. ErebusBass

ErebusBass

Feb 20, 2008
    Madison, WI
    One of your friends has a pickup truck and would be happy to help you in exchange for pizza and beer. You just have to ask them.

7. Bloodhammer

Bloodhammer Twinkle Twinkle Black Star

Jul 7, 2009
    Shreveport, Louisiana
    People with wives never have beer, dude. :rolleyes:

j/k :p

I'm with the "clear out the clutter" crowd. Whenever I move sometime soon, I'm only taking my instruments and my bed with me. Of course, that's because I took an inventory of all the stuff in the house and what hasn't already been replaced by my roommate (making it his) is about to need replacing.

I've been known to buy a new set of dishes and silverware every time I get a new place of my own. So much is always missing by the the time I leave a place.

8. bassinplace

bassinplace

Dec 1, 2008
    Haven't any of your friends called you when they had to move? It's time to return the favor! ;) Save the money you planned on spending on movers and storage.

9. A locked POD in your driveway is a sign that says, "all my stuff's in here."

10. robin jack

robin jack

Mar 26, 2013
    It's really difficult work move one place to other place but anyway it is the part of life I personally have not any experience but as "Mr. Hartounian" saying you should must try like that its a great idea and I think easy for you.

11. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    Go to a Barnes & Noble and get a million of the medium size boxes that say Barnes & Noble on them. Pack all your small stuff in them. They aren't too big and don't get too heavy and if you use all the same size boxes they'll stack way, way better.

I used this method with a 5/8 Uhaul trailer to move from Chicago to Montana with great success.

EDIT And get rid of stuff, obviously. That's never been hard for me, but my partner just seems to accumulate thing after thing that she stops using after 3 months. Now's the time to clean house.

12. DanAleks

DanAleks Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2009
    - go to your local liquor store and ask for boxes from liter or 750 ml bottles. These will have cardboard dividers and are perfect for moving kitchen glassware.

- if there is a small brewery in your area, call them & ask for boxes. They'll usually have some in smaller size which are really good for moving books and other heavy items.

- get a tape gun, 2 would be better.

- get some stretch wrap, about $20.00 at an office supply store. Put small fragile items in your dresser and use clothing to pad them (never move an empty dresser). Secure the drawers with stretch wrap and let the movers take them.

To get rid of stuff: if you're not interested in taking the time to do a garage sale, look into Freecycle. It's a way to keep stuff out of landfill with minimum hassle.

When we were doing a serious downsizing, we listed as a "Free Rummage" on freecycle. We said it starts at 9:AM and got stuff out at 8:30. It was all gone by 9:30 and we only had to carry it to the curb.

13. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    my gf is a hoarder and i was a pro art mover
    12 pickup truck trips
    3 moving truck trips
    18 miles each way, more women's clothes and vintage furniture, old paperbacks, and thrift store paintings than you could possibly imagine

if you don't have access to ratchet straps and an 8ft bed pickup, rent a truck
    4 miles is not that bad, i was driving in blinding rain storms for two weeks in canyon country northwest of LA and back to east LA

14. ArtGuy9516

ArtGuy9516

Apr 10, 2012
    Richmond, VA
    Number your boxes and keep a short list of their contents and label what room of the house they should go into. That way you'll know where to find stuff that you're likely to need before you're all unpacked. Like other responders have said get boxes that have dividers for your glasswear and wrap fragile items in clothing or newspaper. Use smaller boxes for books, cds vinyl, DVDs, etc. they get pretty heavy pretty quick.

Consider transporting your gear and other sensitive electronics by yourself if you're antsy about others handling/transporting them.

Get rid of stuff you don't need. The less you have to move the easier it is.

15. Moving is the easy part. Unpacking is the real PITA.

16. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Wear gloves. Doorways hold no love for knuckle skin.

17. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Play some Tetris for a little while before. Helps you visualize how things fit together in that POD.

18. Goatee220

Goatee220 Bassist/Photographer/Goalie Gold Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2009
    Spring City, PA
    Wow - lots of great suggestions. We have 3 tape guns, as well as the colored "dot" stickers to color code the boxes by room. Our mover did suggest the plastic wrapping so we will be using that for sure. We have ratcheting tie down straps, and 2 hand trucks. I love the idea for the boxes from the liquor store - hadn't heard that one before.

My band gear (PA & bass rig) has already been moved to a friend's house for safe storage, and my instruments will be staying at my drummer's house until the move is complete.