MPM tail piece

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by Jazzman, Mar 18, 2005.

1. Jazzman

Nov 26, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    I was skeptical about the compensated Mike Pecanic tailpieces...but ordered one to see what all the fuss was about. Sure they look great, but how could it have that much of an impact on the sound?

I am speechless. This thing added so much clarity to the lower register - exactly what my bass was needing to cut through the mix. I am a very happy camper.

Also, out of curiosity, how much of the change in sound is due to the tailpiece nylon cord? My old rosewood hill style tail piece had the metal cable - so I am sure changing that helped out some.

My bass is now 100% perfect. And what good is a post without pics?
  2. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    San Francisco, CA

That is a nice TP. Mine's the yin to your yang.

Yes, I definitely noticed a difference too. Especially once I got my Full Circle string jack off of the afterlengths. I just get so much more depth now.

I don't know about a metal cable, but I had a coat hanger on for a little while, then switched to the nylon cord. The nylon cord switch added some difference, but to mine ears when I switched the TP the differences were more drastic once the string jack was off. Maybe it's a combination of both.
  3. godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    They are the 411...
  4. mpm

May 10, 2001
    Los Angeles
    I just found this thread! I'm glad to hear that those pieces are working out for y'all!

5. Brent Norton

Brent Norton

Sep 26, 2003
    Detroit, MI
    This little gem arrived this week, a coco / flame lammy piece... How hot is this thing??

Attached Files:

6. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    I have a 5 string Macassar Ebony on order for a Bass I am having Arnold convert when he gets the time slot open to do it.
  7. godoze

Oct 21, 2002

My Baby... I think that should be called the "Don Zebrauskas signature model"
  8. godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    I have two that are going to ISB before they finally come home...
  9. Frank D.

Frank D.

Mar 22, 2005
    Mike Pecanic's tailpieces are great! I got a birdseye maple one on my custom Norton bass and love it very much. :D