Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mpulse 360 volume problem?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by metal warrior, Sep 2, 2004.

1. metal warrior

metal warrior

Sep 6, 2003
    MI
    I have a Mpulse 360 with a mesa 4x10 and Low Down Sound 15. I play in a 3 piece band and sometime i cant even hear myself on stage. Today i ran a Hartke 3500, head to head with the Mesa. The Hartke was way louder than the Mesa. Im just wondering if maybe my amp has a problem? if should have some one look at it or not?

2. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Yes, there's a problem. That thing should be crazy loud. Can you supply more details? Settings, signal chain, etc? Have you checked the tubes? Has it always done this?

3. metal warrior

metal warrior

Sep 6, 2003
    MI
    As far as Signal chain. The only effect I consitenly run is the BBE 362 Sonic Maximizer. The maximizer is just through the effects loop. Their are no effects in the way of the bass and the amp.

Other settings: Gain usually at about 1 to 2 o'clock live. If i turn it up more it tends to peak out and hurt my speakers. My main Is at abour 3 O'clock sometimes more. On the compressor the Threshold is at 11 o'clock the rate is at about 2 o'clock. Even when i turn the compresser off it wont get much louder. My bass is at about 9 o'clock mid at about 12 o clock treble at about 10 o'clock. I usually control bass aand treble with the maximizer.

I use a Rickenbacker 4003 and a Sting ray 5. I have already checked the Ric input jack to see if that was the problem. their was some something wrong with it but it only improved volume a little bit.

As long as ive had it has always been quiet. i suspected a problem but i never compared it to another amp of the same volume before. I have not checked the tubes. If yuou have anytohter questions please ask!!! thanks for the reply

4. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I would try taking the BBE out of the loop and seeing how things are without it. Try to isolate the problem to the amp, by removing all other factors.

What cabs are you using? What are your EQ settings? Have you switched the semi-parametric EQ out? Are you plugged into the correct input? Made sure the Solo function wasn't engaged?

This concerns me a little. It shouldn't sound like your speakers are hurting; it should be the preamp tubes starting to distort. Could you clarify?

I personally have a Walkabout Scout, which is 300 watts, and it's extremely loud. Yours has about 60 watts more than mine, so the volumes should be about the same (given the same speaker load). Are you using one cab or two?