Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mr. Woods retire?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by BassGreaser, Aug 26, 2004.

1. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I read some where on the web that Walter Woods retired....Is this true? :confused:

2. bassphase

bassphase Supporting Member

Jul 26, 2004
    San Francico Bay Area
    I just talked to him a couple months ago and he didn't seem very retired. But then I didn't ask either.

bob

3. Mike Carr

Mike Carr

Feb 5, 2002
    Hong Kong
    I just spoke to the man himself yesterday (thursday, 8/26/04) on the phone concerning some repair work for my old faithful. It's a 28 year old, 2 channel model, 150 watts into 4 ohms.
    I'm just sending it in to him to get a new power cord and on & off switch installed.
    Except for these small problems, IT STILL WORKS FINE!
    I don't know of too many other electronic devices that are almost three decades old that still are operational, and sound just as good as the day they were first made.
    For several years, this was my only amp head for both electric and double bass purposes and it has been very well used, it's been around the world, twice.
    I've bought several other fine amps since getting my Walter Woods, an SWR Bass 350, an AI Clarus and even an old Ampeg Porta-Flex SB-12 (tube mojo for days, just not enough power) but the Woods still is my favorite amp, sounds good thru almost any sort of speaker cabinet, sounds very good with my Raezers Edge 1-10 for double bass. Even at 100 watts into 8 ohms/ 150 watts into 4 ohms, it's got more than enough power for double bass, heck, back in the day I used to play electric bass with it into "Road" brand cabinet, a big one with an 18" speaker in it and it kicked big booty.
    I just wish I had the cash right now to buy one of his new amps, because at my age, it would probably outlive me!

4. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Walter is not retired! He laughed at the idea.

5. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    good...i was worried for a second that I wouldn't be able to buy one of his Ultra amps when I finally have the money