1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

MTD 535 or Sadowsky NYC

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by John Liu, May 29, 2012.

1. John Liu

John Liu

May 29, 2012
    Hello,everyone. I am a Chinese BassPlayer. I have just migrate in the USA. I have 3 bass in China.Atelizer-Z M265. Yamaha TRB 5P. and Fender JB-62 [japan].i m go to conservatory in China.
    But Aircraft Not allowed carry my bass.I afaired check.So i not carry my bass.
    I like JACO,Millder,and Wonder. I like Fusion JAZZ BLUES.
    I will go to the NY next mouth.I want to buy a bass. i very hesitate MTD or Sadowsky.Pleas help me.
    PS: I go to the LA ChinaTown Music SHOT. very bad...:bawl:
    PS2:pleas tell me NY music SHOT address Thank~:D
    PS3:My English very BAD... SO SORRY............:bawl::bawl::bawl:

2. sps500

sps500 In Memoriam

May 19, 2008
    One is a 34' the other a 35'.... I suggest you try before you buy especially considering both are considerable investments. Enjoy your stay in the USA!

3. John Liu

John Liu

May 29, 2012
    what 34 or 35????

4. John Liu

John Liu

May 29, 2012

a string the length???

5. They are both very different styles of bass guitar.
    The Sadowsky is like an idealized vintage Fender bass.
    The MTD is more of a modern style bass in terms of pickups, ergonomics and tone.
    Either are fantastic basses that anyone would be more than happy to own.
    I suggest you visit some of the better stores in NYC and try them out.

6. Shame you can't hang on to the Atelier. I'd take that over both. I say go for a jazz, so I guess the Sadowsky it is.

7. ExaltBass

ExaltBass Gold Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2006
    Twin Cities, MN
    If you're in NYC go to the Sadowsky store. I'll bet you can find something there that will work for you... and then some.

8. John Liu

John Liu

May 29, 2012
    My God ,is very Modern the other is very vintage.
    i think i have try this...:rollno:

9. I wouldn't exactly call the Sadowsky vintage but I think it will fit what you do VERY well. You could always grab a simple Fender and drop a preamp in too.

10. John Liu

John Liu

May 29, 2012
    hahahaha~
    thanks.I will try this.

11. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    +100! I was playing my friend's AtelierZ over the weekend, and I would put it up against any other boutique bass. It is a heavy so and so, but I say man up, and get a wide strap!

Seriously, if you can ship your AtelierZ and Yamaha TRB5 for under $1,500, do it! After that, keep your eyes open on TB, and snag a clean used MTD.:bassist:

12. John Liu

John Liu

May 29, 2012
    my Atelier-Z has 4.5KG..........:crying:

13. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    The MTD and Sadowsky are very different basses. The suggestion to go to the Sadowsky shop is a good one. It's a very short ride on the F train from Manhattan.

Not all Sadowskys are vintage sounding. I have two of the Modern 5-24s that have an aggressive tone not characteristic of Fender-style basses. The Standard models also have a fairly modern sound. The Vintage and Ultra-Vintage models are more like the Fenders of the 60s and 70s, only built like they should be - superb workmanship.

The MTDs tend to have a little more crisp, dry sound, especially in the highs. Of course, it depends on the woods (I'm a believer), but I think MTDs have some of the best slap tone out there. I sold mine to a TBer in China because I don't slap.

Ultimately, you're going to need to play both brands if you want to make the right decision. One or the other is certain to talk to you, but you may not like both. As far as quality, both are first-rate basses of the highest quality. Mike Tobias hand-crafts his basses, While Sadowsky uses premium components built to their specs.

Good luck in your decision.

14. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    4.5kg comes out to 9.9 lbs; that is very light for an AtelierZ! I say check out Sadowsky, but unless you are totally blown away, I would just keep the AtelierZ. Unless you spend really big bucks for a chambered American Sadowsky ($4,000+,) a Sadowsky Metro will weigh about the same as your AtelierZ.

I say go by the Warwick Shop in NYC too. Something like a singlecut Thumb might be a different flavor that would work well for you just like an MTD might work well for you too. Finally, check out Rudy's on 48th St because they carry Pensa Jazzes which I think are seriously underrated. Who knows, they may have a Spector Coda too, and I have heard very good things about those basses!:bassist:

I hope you enjoy America, and best of luck on your career!:)

15. carlis

carlis

Dec 28, 2005
    That is the scale of a bass. Sadowsky's are 34-inch scale basses while MTDs are 35-inch, which means the spaces between frets will actually be wider on a MTD's fingerboard. That said, most people will not even notice the inconvenience, if any, on a longer scale bass unless compare side by side.

Both are great instruments with their unique "tone" in nature. Sadowsky's are generally lighter in weight due to their chamber design -- if that's what you are looking for.

Any way, you'd better try them in person, particularly when you have been in the US!

Have fun and good luck.

16. carlis

carlis

Dec 28, 2005
    That's similar to what I told some other guy, and then got seriously challenged.

I said "they are making 1st class basses in the world but they just don't build neck and body from woods themselves."

...and got blasted: bosh, they do everything except for the gloss finish! They're super!

I don't know how many people there are like that. I have no idea how to "educate" them to realize that what does matter is the product quality rather than the production process per se.

17. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    It's the old "parts bass" thing. I don't really care whose CNC machines are cutting the parts. I'm more interested in the fit and finish of the final product. Sadowsky has it down. All three of mine are just superb instruments, even the bastardized one.

BTW, how's that MTD 535 treating you?

18. carlis

carlis

Dec 28, 2005
    It is phenomenal. Thanks for asking. It has been the main bass for my gigs last year and served me so well that I decided to order another MTD, :hyper: see my profile photo! LOL

What's the story about your bastardized Sadowsky? I must have missed something...

19. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    Shipping from China shouldn't be that expensive. I bought a Yamaha TRBJP2 from a guy in Hong Kong and it got to Brooklyn quickly, safely and cheaply.

20. sps500

sps500 In Memoriam

May 19, 2008
    Not to talk down on China but depending where you are located.....the difference between Hong Kong and China can be day and night!