Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MTD 535 question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by simongpaez, Jul 13, 2005.

1. I'm just a recent proud owner of a MTD 535 and I love it,
    Anyone know what are the standard string and pickups height ? Any tips for the new owner ? ;)

Thanks
    :bassist:

2. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    Standard strings are MTD strings.

3. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    Yeah, to be exact, the Stainless Steel 135x Custom Medium set, which has a taper (exposed core) B 135, then 105, 85, 65, 45.

I've also tried DR HiBeams, which are also great, but I think the MTD strings actually last just as long, and work a little better on the bass. Generally speaking, you can get them for 30-35 a set.

4. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    1.) PICTURES!!!!!

2.) String height and neck relief work together to define the action you like. I think MTD stock setup is just a teensy bit of relief (string capo'd at 1st fret, held down on 24th fret, and just enough relief to see a bit of space underneath the string in the middle, or tap it and hear a click).

3.) Pickup height should be pretty close to the strings for a strong signal, but not so close the strings hit them while playing, or magnetically interfere with tone, tuning, or sustain.

Lotsa' possibilities. One recommendation, if you play with the truss rod, turn only about 1/4 - 1/3 turn at a time, and wait at least an hour or two before turning it again, and don't turn it more than one whole turn for a given day. Also, if you want to remove relief (tighten) either loosen the strings, or gently pull back on the headstock against the string tension while doing so... just enough to see the strings lower a little towards the fingerboard. Release gently when done turning and let sit before adjusting anything.

If yours is like most of them, the necks and fretwork is so good you can get the action so low that the strings actually click against the frets due to your plucking, even with a lighter touch, but still don't buzz. I get mine super low, and then just raise the action enough to give me some "dig in" space with no buzz. Awesome basses.

Hope this helps.

5. Thanks for your response. I'll take some pictures and share with you guys.

simon

6. Bassist4Life

Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY