1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

MTD 535 sound files

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by VroomVroom, Oct 20, 2008.

1. VroomVroom

VroomVroom Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2007
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Hey Folks,

Similar to a post I made in the Roscoe forum...

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=477009

...I thought I'd share the same here with the new MTD. First, the pic:

2787189120_dbde3614d6_b.

Walnut over ash, maple/maple, and just gobs of massive tone. The best description I can offer of the sound is that it's like my Sadowsky but with a lot more warmth. It's a beast!

Notes on the recordings: all were made using my trusty M-Audio MicroTrak 24/96 at a festival gig last weekend. The box sits right in front of me, hence the very bass-heavy mix. The bass was run through my Epifani 502, in the top channel with all eq settings flat, into an Epi 410 with the horn set between 9 and 10 o'clock. The instrument is eq'd with blend, mid & treble right in the middle, with the bass at ~7-8.

Usual caveat: if you like the sound, credit the bass; if you don't, blame the bassist. :D Here we go...

Sample 1

Sample 2

Sample 3

Sample 4

2. thats a nice sound bass you got there, your playings nice too clear and not to busy but not boring :D

3. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    Bass at 7-8? Wow, when I used to run that rig you have now that would be way to bass heavy with my 635. Beautiful bass you have there. A lot of those with that wood combo coming out of Mr. Tobias' shop. There must really be something special if Mike is using that combo so much lately. The bass sounds like a real keeper.

4. XavidmanX

XavidmanX

Jun 29, 2006
    Bakersfield, CA
    Nice sound. My bass sounds just like that (but not my playing). It's the best MTD wood combo I've ever played.

Nice groove!

5. VroomVroom

Jan 2, 2007
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Thanks, folks!

I hear you! I mentioned this in one of the MTD-specific threads, but I've enjoyed the playability and look of these basses for many years...but this is the first one that did it for me sonically.

I probably should've mentioned it was an outdoor gig and that I wanted to dial in a little more oomph. On indoor gigs with this cab - and smaller ones - everything is flat...just the way I like it. :D

6. dear LORD.... GAS!!!!!!!!!!

7. black.rose1402

black.rose1402

Jan 10, 2007
    man I was wondering which bass I'll buy after receiving my fodera, your bass make me want to order a mtd!!!!!!!!!!

GREAT SOUND

8. VroomVroom

Jan 2, 2007
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Isn't this thing just massive? I'm loving it!

To give you an idea of how this gig went, it was smokin' right from the start. Here's the intro to the tune (Stolen Moments) from 'sample 1' above:

Sample 0

I'm lucky to play with these guys fairly often, but almost always in a casual setting. Hearing them stretch out - and loosening the leash on the MTD - was an absolute blast!

9. Your MTD sounds amazing. It's a rich, full, yet defined tone. This does not help my GAS for an MTD. Yours is beautiful and I would not mind having one just like it. Great chops, too. :)

10. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:

I'm blown away.
    I own a MTD 535.( Different wood combo than yours)
    The MTD sounds well, like a nice MTD. ( I love the tone)

But after hearing your Roscoe clips.
    I thing I dig the Roscoe better? ( never played one)
    I gasing for a fretless 5er.
    I see a Roscoe in my house soon.

Both are great basses.

11. VroomVroom

Jan 2, 2007
    SF Bay Area, CA
    I definitely love the Roscoe, but it's much more subtle than this 535....which cuts through any mix. Very similar to my Sadowsky in that fashion, but with a bit more warmth and just amazing clarity on the B string. (In other words, an MTD.) :D

Fretless 5...I am continually amazed that my local store hasn't yet sold this bass:

http://www.gelbmusic.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=7&products_id=271

Every time I play it I shake my head and wish it had come in before I bought my Zon....which I love...but that SKB 5 is a wicked fretless!