1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

For Sale MTD USA Saratoga 5

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by Sithian, Nov 1, 2018.

1. Sithian

Sithian Supporting Member

Aug 17, 2008
    New Jersey
    Price:
    $2700
    Strings:
    Up for trade is MTD USA Saratoga 5 #2364. This is Mike's version of the jazz bass, but undoubtedly an MTD. Nice low action, and a very playable neck. Here is a review of a very similar specced Saratoga to sum things up:

MTD Saratoga 5-String (Review)

The details:

-Alder Body
    -Maple Neck
    -Rosewood Board
    -Bartolini USA Saratoga electronics - volume, blend, bass, treble, push/pull mids (400/800Hz), passive tone control, active passive switch, and Bartolini single coil jazz pickups
    -8 lbs 10 oz
    -19mm String Spacing
    - 34" Scale
    - Includes MTD gig bag

There are a few small dings, and the small specks on the lower bout appear to be on the surface- you cannot feel them with your hand nor are they through the finish. I took a lot of pictures for full transparency- overall the bass is in very good condition.

Priced to sell at $2700 shipped (and reduced! :hyper:), and can meet for a local sale.

Please ask questions via private message. Thanks for looking!

IMG_5725.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 17, 2019
  2. timtyler8821

timtyler8821 Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2011
    California
    Not thinking about selling?

3. Sithian

Aug 17, 2008
    New Jersey
    Funny you should ask.... :)

GeeBass likes this.
  4. GeeBass

GeeBass Supporting Member

Jul 14, 2004
    North/Central NJ
    I had an opportunity to play this bass - and I can testify that it is a killer! Plays and sounds amazing, and beautiful condition.

bassguyky48 and Sithian like this.
  5. pedulla-2007

pedulla-2007 Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2008
    texas
    Are these basses comparable to the 535's? Wondering about the difference in sound between soap bars and jazz pickups. The stain/paint job is so distinctive . Guess I will have to check these out on Youtube! GLWYS! Just checked out this incredible bass, it is called a "USA Custom" and sounds incredible, leave it to Mr Tobias to cover every taste in tone. It is also priced very competitively, as the new basses are priced at 3,600. Be still my heart!

Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
  6. Sithian

Aug 17, 2008
    New Jersey
    In my opinion this bass (and MTD Saratoga's) are more of a sum of the whole rather than a soapbar/jazz pickup comparison. The Saratoga's are Mike Tobias's interpretation of the jazz bass. The sonic spectrum is a bit narrower than the 535s (more Fenderish), but the Saras still look, feel and sound like MTDs. Very unique amongst all the jazz basses out there, and like all MTD's each has its own unique qualities. Really amazing instruments.

And a price reduction to $2700 on this one to boot! :hyper:

Last edited: Feb 17, 2019
  7. Argh, if only I didn't have a Home deposit I'm saving up for...

8. sammybass61

sammybass61 Supporting Member

Nov 7, 2007
    Kissimme Florida
    Can you trade