Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mudvayne

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Lateralus_, Apr 17, 2005.

1. Lateralus_

Lateralus_

Feb 26, 2005
    What equipment does the bass player use? I love the tone especially on the new album.

2. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    I'm pretty sure a Warwick Thumb.

3. I think he plays Warwanks. The last pic I saw of him showed him with an Ampeg rig.

4. Sidecar666

Sidecar666

Mar 27, 2004
    Gotta remember that what you hear on a studio produced record may be different than what he plays with live. The sound on the record is also most likely a mix between micing a speaker cab and a direct line in...maybe through a DI box or straight outta his bass or through a studio preamp.

5. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    He uses Warwick Thumb NT's, I think. The latest stuff I've seen of him, including the video of Determined from the new CD, has him in front of great big Ampeg fridge-cabs.

6. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    http://guitargeek.com/rigview/505/

That's what he used live in 2001. I'm not sure whether or not he still uses the same setup, but it's probably similar. As for recording, I'm not sure, but I've heard rumors that he used Mesa guitar cabs for his midrange sound on their first CD.

7. 5stringFanatic

5stringFanatic

Mar 3, 2004
    NY, USA
    Yup...
    Im obsessed with mudvayne, lol. I actually got to meet them Last tuesday, on the album release day, in new york city.

Anyway, Warwick Thumbs which he customized with EMG pickups for the new album. DR "Hi Beam" Strings, through custom ampeg 8x10 cabinets powered by an SVT 2 Pro.

The videos from the new album, which are on the DVD or the one of determined on the website, show him using his thumb 5. One of them at least, lol.

Regards,
    H

8. yomchi247

yomchi247

Sep 6, 2004
    he might have used svt2 pros in the past, but I've seen them 3 times live with SVT4s

In the studio, he records the bass numerous times...including direct in, through a mic, and through the guitar players mesa boogie 4x12 cabs

9. 5stringFanatic

5stringFanatic

Mar 3, 2004
    NY, USA
    when did you see them? ive seen them 3 times as well, however, on their guerilla tour in february, for their show at CBGB, me being stupid, i went and waited by CBGB all day to try and see if i can get a chance to meet them, and although i didnt get to meet them, i saw the roadies unload all the gear, and i saw svt 2 pros. In addition, i was front row for the entire show, and if uve ever been to CBGB u know that the stage is super small, and if i would have reached out my hand i would have touched the neck of his bass. This was February 17th 2005. However, in the past he might have used 4 pros.

Kind Regards,
    H

10. yomchi247

yomchi247

Sep 6, 2004
    I know he does have a number of different amps he uses...I saw them 3 weeks ago, and he had the 4's...the first time I saw them (about 3 years ago) he used the Classic style ampegs, both heads and cabs, and if you say you saw him use the 2's I would believe it...hell if I was sponsored by them I would have every model they have :)

I don't understand why so many people give warwicks **** about their sound. They have great playability, and just listen to a mudvayne, 311, old Incubus etc for the tone...you can argue that they do a number of things in the studio to enhance the sound, but go see them live and it's still the same (at least with those 3 I mentioned). Now I have heard some people with warwicks sound incredibly bad...but that's due to a number of things...poor technique...not knowing what the hell they are doing with the controls...or not having an ear

11. 5stringFanatic

5stringFanatic

Mar 3, 2004
    NY, USA
    i completely agree.. well said. I agree about incubus and mudvayne as well, i havnt seen 311. But i remember seeing mudvayne for the first time, and i said to myself, oh my god, the tone was unreal. i loved it. On the new album he uses overdrive and chorus for some parts... listen to IMN, for the breakdown, it really sticks out, or on Pulling the String, he clearly uses overdrive there.

When i met them i spoke to him for a few minutes, and he was just the nicest guy imagineable.. they all were really cool guys. Really nice.

Regards,
    H

12. You Lucky Bastard.

and all you guys beat me to the equipment question

He's my favorite Bassist.

13. Senor SQUID

Senor SQUID Guest

Jan 11, 2004
    In the new issue of Bass Player it states that he uses:
    Basses: Warwick thumb 4 and 5 strings (tuned CGCF and GCGCF) strung w/ DR black Beauties
    Rig: Ampeg SVT 4 pro head, Ampeg 8 X 10 cabinet, Avalon U5 DI/preamp
    Hope that helps bro.

14. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    His Warwicks are also customized...they have Ebony boards, and now EMG p-ups.

15. incognito89x

incognito89x ♪♫♪ ♪ ♪ ♫&#983

Sep 22, 2002
    Royal Oak, Michigan
    Last I heard he was (and always had been) using Lo-riders for his strings.

He also has a Vampyre that he got recently as well. He's got 3 Thumb NT's. Two of them natural (4 and 5) and one that's all black.

I'm surprised this thread has lasted this long without someone pointing out the "search" function :ninja:

16. Redhotbassist

Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    England
    Ah yeah, his vampyre, is he going to use that? i havent seen any pics of him using it yet..

17. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    hes got THUMBS!!!! the 2 natural 4 and 5, the 2 black with silver hardware 4 and 5, a 4 totally black (there might be a 5 totally black) and a vampire.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

enough!

18. Don't forget he may be using that Vampyre LTD now too.

19. I rememmber when LD50 came out there was a post of his gear on guitargeek.com - at that stage it said he was using 2 SVT2 PRO's, 2 8x10 ampeg cabs, A dbx 160 compressor and a warwick thumb 5-NT