1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

multioctave effects

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by SlightlyaBanana, Aug 16, 2012.

1. SlightlyaBanana

SlightlyaBanana

May 11, 2012
    hi all, quick question...

if i were to have an mxr bass octave deluxe (which adds an octave below) and ran that through an ElectroHarmonix POG (which was set +1 octave)

what octave would i be in?

or would there end up being 3 octaves?

2. TomA1234

TomA1234

Jul 27, 2009
    Fareham, England
    It would give you:
    One in the original pitch
    One below the original pitch
    One above the original pitch

3. Explorer

Explorer

Jul 4, 2010
    To be more precise, if you were running the added octaves at the same levels in both the MXR and the POG, you'd have

+1 octave at one time the sound pressure

0 octave at two times the sound pressure

-1 octave at one time the sound pressure.

This can make a difference in terms of the sound's timbre. When I'm using the POG2 for orchestral tonal variations, those seemingly small differences in volume between the octaves can affect how the sound is perceived as a whole.

Given the the POG smears the sound (you can tell the difference by A/B-ing the dry signal as either dry or affected), you could probably get some interesting combinations by mixing an unaffected dry signal with the octave up. The affected POG sound can be pretty amazing in combination with other effects. The basis for my main cello sound is running a heavy gated fuzz into the POG for a rich bowed waveform which is subtly transformed from the original fuzz sound, and using the POG's attack/decay control to remove the initial attack.

4. SlightlyaBanana

SlightlyaBanana

May 11, 2012
    hi, thanks for the reply.

do i just make the adjustment of volume by ear or is there a better way. Thanks

5. Explorer

Explorer

Jul 4, 2010
    I'd adjust it by ear, but what you might not have realized is... no matter how you adjust the two values (octaves zero and -1), your middle octave after the POG will always louder than one of the outside volumes, unless you're going weirdly weak on one of them.

Here's a few possibilities, listing them from low to high

2 2 0 after MXR, plus
    0 2 2 after POG, equals
    2 4 2

10 5 0 plus
    0 2 1 (turning down the volume a lot) equals
    10 7 1

3 6 0 plus
    0 1 2 equals
    3 7 2

Adjust by ear, as you might stumble onto something you like. However, you really like the affected sound of the MXR through the affected sound of the POG, you'd do better to run just the lower octave of the MXR through the POG and to use the various sliders, rather than just the octave up, to get the combination you want.

6. SlightlyaBanana

SlightlyaBanana

May 11, 2012
    i have a 7 band eq on my amp, (i dont have the pedals at the minute; just ordered them)

if the neutral octave -0, is going to be more pronounced, if i EQ'd out the mid's slightly on the amp, would that take the volume down a bit (if the octaves were in terms of 3 band eq, i.e: -1 octave would be lo, 0 would be mid and +1 would be hi)

do you think this would work?

7. Explorer

Explorer

Jul 4, 2010
    If you have a POG, I'm not understanding the point of what you want to do. I gave a suggestion to get an even sound across multiple octaves using the POG you were talking about.

Experiment away!