1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Multiple instruments to one amp

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by xander8280, Jul 27, 2012.

1. xander8280

xander8280

Dec 29, 2011
    I want to run some bass organ pedals and my bass guitar into my amp at the same time. I am fine with them sharing the eq. Running them into the two different inputs of my amp sounds good alone, but I want to use them together. If I play them at the same time it gets really crappy sounding.
    I just want to know an affordable rackmount or pedal mixer that could let me use my two instruments into the same input of the amp.

Thanks guys

2. uhdinator

uhdinator

Apr 20, 2010
    Maine
    A/B switch.
    Instrument amps may not be optimum for line level things like keys. That's why there are keyboard amps for that.

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    A small mixer is the best way to do this. Each instrument gets its own level and (limited) EQ. That way it'll sound mo' bitchen. It provides proper buffering between the instruments. Running the instruments into the separate inputs of the amp could cause the smoke to escape.

I recommend the Mackie 402 VLZ3. I do not recommend the B-word analog of it.

91XJykFbotS._AA1500_.

4. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Word to that little mixer. Best way to do simultaneous instruments in the same amp.

5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I'm feelin' the love. We actually agree on something. Does this mean I can keep the ring?

6. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I don't know, man. There's still that little tube amp thing we have to work out.

:D

7. superdick2112

superdick2112 Mile High Bassist Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2010
    The Centennial State
    I know it's more expensive and inconvenient to haul a 2nd amp, but you will get much better instrument definition & clarity by using a dedicated bass pedal amp. Pictured left of my PJB bass rig is the mini rig I use for my Taurus pedals - an SWR Headlite driving a single 15" EV speaker in a Sonic cab. I'm not thrilled about having to lug the extra gear to every gig, but the sound is worth it.

8. xander8280

xander8280

Dec 29, 2011
    I'll end up doing this, getting a second amp. If anything it's a back up amp or I can biamp when not using the pedals:p might get a Hartke rack head. Thanks for this post man.
    And thanks everybody else. I'm buying some moog stuff and I think it having its own amp would be appropriate.

9. TimmyP

TimmyP

Nov 4, 2003
    Indianapolis, IN
    It's not an input mixing problem - you are running into the fidelity and/or output limits of the bass rig.

10. morgansterne

morgansterne Geek U.S.A.

Oct 25, 2011
    Cleveland Ohio
    I bought an Allen and Hath zed10 mixer for some emergency recording chores. I tried out my keyboard and bass plugged in to the mixer and then into my markbass little mark ii and then to my single 15" cab. This worked out nicely IF if plugged the mixer out into the power amp in of the LMII (I didn't have a stand alone power amp handy).
    I was using a keyboard and not pedals so there wasn't a whole lot of playing them at the same time.

The ZED10 has two hi-z inputs and my fender jazz sounded pretty sweet when I engaged the extra gain switch in the back of the mixer. I was impressed.

Haven't yet tried to use it at gig volume where I'm sure the two amp setup would help.

Morgan

11. xander8280

xander8280

Dec 29, 2011
    My sound guy and band leader think I'll just run it into the board and out the PA. So I wont have to buy anything, LOL

12. superdick2112

superdick2112 Mile High Bassist Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2010
    The Centennial State
    Low notes on Taurus pedals have a tendency to overwhelm all but the beefiest of monitor systems. You can go only through the PA with them, but you may have to bring them down so low in your stage monitor that they will be hard to hear. The main reason I use a stage amp for my bass pedals is to have them loud enough to hear them, while still keeping my floor monitor nice & clean for vocals, & maybe a hint of guitar.

13. xander8280

xander8280

Dec 29, 2011
    Yeah, we have our monitors highpassed, and have a woofer monitor that takes all the low end. Discussing with my band about it I'll probably make some midi patches that's are very reverbed and ambient. Like a church choir or strings patch. I don't know, it'll be cool, and I'll show you guys what we do with it when it comes time.