Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Multiple uses for a digi 001

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by ian_logsdon, Jul 15, 2004.

1. ian_logsdon

ian_logsdon

Jul 14, 2004
    Columbia, MD
    i have a recording setup on my computer, right now i use an audiophile 2496, but i am thinking about switching up to a
    digi 001 in the near future. my problem is that linux doesnt have drivers or software for any of digidesigns hardware, which means that i cant use it with my recording setup...
    so now im saving up to buy a G4 powerbook because i have this idea...
    could i use a digi 001, running into a laptop (through a pci-usb adapter) as a mixer for a pa system...
    i would rack mount it with a preamp, then run the outputs of the digi 001 into an amp for a set of speakers, tada, pa system.
    does anyone know if this would actually work if its just the fevered dream of a madman

one other thing, im not e_actly clear on this so i figured i should ask, are all the inputs on the digi 001 individual tracks on your protools screen, so that if i ran an entire band into the card, every mic/line would be on a different track for editing, cu_ i know thats how it is with the digi 002, im just making sure im not going to buy something thats no different than what im running now.

2. Droog

Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    PDX
    I have thought about that before and I think the only issue would be latency. Even "near zero" latency may not cut it. If the sound coming through the PA is delayed to the sound coming off the stage its gonna sound like ass. If you can get around that then I imagine it would work. Sounds like you want to record the performance as well, yes all of those eight inputs will go to seperate tracks in side Pro Tools. Just make sure you assign your inputs properly.

Are planning on getting your show done with only eight mics? Also why bother with the PCI adapter? Just buy the Digi 002 to go with the powerbook.

3. ian_logsdon

ian_logsdon

Jul 14, 2004
    Columbia, MD
    the digi 002 is SOOOO much more expensive, i still have to pay for college you know :D, anyways, thanks for the info, im deffinately gettin a digi 001 down the road, i wish i had the cash for a power book, but i think thats pushing my luck.

4. Droog

Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    PDX
    The 002 Rack is not that much more $$$. Look for a used one. I just forsee the PCI adapter being problematic. Have fun!

5. Boat anchor.