Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

music schools

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by sloppysubs, Jul 11, 2004.

1. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    hey gang looking for some info here. i have the oppurtunity to go to a music school to major in bass guitar. how freakin cool is that? anyway, right now im juggling berklee, musicians institute (in LA) and atlanta institute of music (AIM). cost is really an issue only because i plan on getting loans to wherever i end up anyway. btu any info would be great.

cost?
    is the school accredited?
    how is the student teacher ratio?
    enviroment?
    area?
    will i actually learn?
    so forth and so on...any info at all. thanks a bunch guys and gals.

2. sedgdog

sedgdog

Jan 26, 2002
    Pasco, WA
    The only one I am familiar with is Jeff Berlin's Player's School of Music. I went to the One-week Intensive - which would be a good way to check the school out before committing to a longer term. I loved it. It's small, but the instructors and instruction was excellent. If I had the opportunity to go full time I would seriously consider them. www.playerschool.com

Good Luck,
    Tim

3. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    thanks tim.

this is helpful info. if anyone else has anymore id greatly appriciate it. thanks.

4. I know none of them personaly but you asked "will I learn?" and to that I'll say. You get from a course what you put in. They're not a quick fix for people you know?

Sorry I couldn't help with the specifics of the schools

5. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    no worries.

im looking for some really good tappign instrcution. alsot a lto fo theroy stuff and things like that. and then of course you knwo teh random "elective" classes here or there. ill you what though, of all these schools ive been looking up they all put TONS of emphasis on slap. its really weird. and most of the schools, which is my biggest fear come to life, generalize things. ie rock bass is like this... jazz bass is like this... they offer classes on learning beatles bass lines or somethign of that nature. not to say beatles bass lines are bad, but youd think theyd get out of that "its like this" box. oh well....