Music Theory for the Bass Player

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Groove Finder, Feb 3, 2020.

1. Groove Finder

Groove Finder

Jan 27, 2020
    New York
    Has anyone ready the book "Music Theory for the Bass Player: A Comprehensive and Hands-on Guide to Playing with More Confidence and Freedom" by Ariane Cap? It came up in a Facebook group for beginner bass players and has a lot of good reviews on Amazon.com. I was wondering if it was worth it to purchase it?

Attached Files:

2. GastonD

GastonD

Nov 18, 2013
    Belgrade, Serbia
    Yes, it is!
    Excellent book overall, and the only way for it to not be useful is if you don't actually do the exercises in it.

12BitSlab and Mike Anderson like this.
  3. Bass

Bass

Nov 10, 2003
    Canada
    This book is well worth it. My last 5 months were spent working through the exercises diligently, and I'm not quite done the intervals section yet. For me so far, the book has introduced different ways of looking at the fingerboard.

Ariane Cap's original intent was to write a book on "The Pattern System" - a highly effective roadmap to bass fretboard proficiency. Instead, the author backed up and wrote a book on the basics instead. I am very much looking forward to Book 2.

Mike Anderson and tonym like this.
  4. KeepItMoving

KeepItMoving Supporting Member

Apr 8, 2018
    Yes, it's an excellent resource. Very well organized and clearly written, and Ms. Cap knows her stuff; the guy who I've been taking lessons with hadn't run into it before but gave it a big thumbs-up. As a bonus there's also some material on proper technique that I've found very helpful, and discussion of effective practice techniques. Well worth the money, and if you want to go to the next level there's an online course that will take you through the material step-by-step with lots of videos and exercises, and a monthly live session when you can ask questions.

Rhythmman535 and Mike Anderson like this.