1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Musicman Sterling HS -parallel wiring

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Thedaivisch, Jan 2, 2013.

1. Thedaivisch

Thedaivisch

Sep 3, 2009
    Hi guys,

I have a 2007 Sterling HS, which has a true 2 coil H pickup (wired in Series) and the Single coil with a dummy coil attached to it.

I only ever use the H pickup soloed with the mids cut almost entirely out of it because I really want a more Stingray tone, and I'm interested in upgrading the Hbucker to a Nordy 4.2. So that got me wondering...

Is it possible to rewire a Sterling HS/HH in parallel?

I have contacted Nordstrand and they really aren't sure how do this. I don't want to bother Musicman as they don't like their gear being modded (or at least getting involved in mods and getting involved in potentially risky/messy alterations, which is fair enough).

Before anyone says anything, I don't want a Stingray, as I like thin necks, SLO Stingrays are as rare as rocking-horse sh*t esp HS/HH and esp in the UK and no I don't think MM are too sacred to mod...(I've modded a deified Sadowsky with my own fair hands with great success...) :D

Any advice, stories or even better a how-to would be muchos appreciated

Dave

2. parsons

parsons

Feb 22, 2008
    Maryland
    SLO rays come in HS.

If you want more of a stingray tone, you need an alnico pickup, Sterlings use ceramics which contribute to the difference in tone in addition to the preamp.

3. Thedaivisch

Thedaivisch

Sep 3, 2009
    Do they? Cool. Bet they are hard to come by, especially in the UK.

So an Alnico pickup like a Nordy 4.2? :)

Dave

4. Thedaivisch

Thedaivisch

Sep 3, 2009
    So they do! Google is my friend...

Love my Sterling though, don't want the hassle of selling it :)

Dave

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 28, 2021