1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Musicman Stringray SR5 - replacement strings that require the least "tweaking"

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Marley's Ghost, Mar 17, 2013.

1. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Going for my first non Slinky replacment set. I had a bad experience with DR Nickel Lo Riders that just seemed like a poor fit, even in a mixed 45-65-80-100-130 set. I could not get rid of the overtones or get the intonation right.

I like DR nickel tone, and D'Addarios have worked well in on other basses. I know the SR5 is a very "sensitive" bass to string tension/gauge changes. Any suggestions? Sunbeams? XL's? I play rock and funk, and like some grindy punch to my tone.

2. MoeTown1986

MoeTown1986 Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2010
    SoMD (Mechanicsville)
    Try Cobalts. They are a perfect fit on a SR5 and really make it sing! I use them on both of mine after trying MANY different strings.

3. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007
    I haven't had any DR trouble. Did you contact the company?

4. Marley's Ghost

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Hmmm, I was thinking about them. I've heard they are clear and well balanced, but rough on the fingers and possibly the frets. Any issues?

5. Marley's Ghost

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL

Do you think they would be able to give me bass model specific advice? I've used them on other basses without issue.

6. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007
    I have a Ray (I'm selling) that I just put a set of lo riders on. The B string was a bit too long and the actual string is on the tuner but I haven't had any trouble with it.

I've also used Sunbeams on a Ray 5 HH and had good results. I'm curious if you got a bad set of strings.

7. MoeTown1986

MoeTown1986 Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2010
    SoMD (Mechanicsville)
    I think they're rough right out of the pack. No more than a stainless round but IMO the soften up in a couple days.

8. Britbonic

Britbonic Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Yikes I hope that's not true. Just ordered this exact set in same gauge which is the same as the stock EB Slinkies that are still on there.

Are the problems you are having on all strings or just certain ones?

Also, have you tried Sunbeams? Similar to nickel lo riders but looser tension.

9. Marley's Ghost

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    My DR Lo Rider Nickel issue was mostly with the intonation on the low B, and overtones on the E and B. I tried wrapping the strings on the tuning pegs several different ways to no avail.

How do you SR5 guys wrap the strings? I have seen both top and bottom in photos. I've always had my strings coming out of the bottom of the wrap. How many wraps per string? I couldn't get any consistent advice over at the EBMM forum.

10. I used to really like DR strings but there are plenty of other strings that sound as good that arent priced as high.
    I've been doing okay on med light slinkys or med light DRs with all my basses. though I do like Rotos on my Ovation.
    I've never had any kind of odd overtone problems even with cheap strings.
    Is the bridge adjusted strangely?
    I've seen some pretty odd configurations of Musicman bridges, though that is mostly confined to the 4 bangers.

11. Marley's Ghost

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    So after 6 months I decided to try the same lo riders again last night. They installed without issue and sound typically new string zingy, but fine otherwise. Very odd.

12. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    I'll bet you had it twisted the first time you installed. Your symptoms sounded exactly like a twisted string

13. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007
    Sounds like a twisted string, perhaps? Glad they went back on no problem!

14. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007
    Bongo, get out of my head!!!

15. NeilGB

NeilGB Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2012
    SF Bay Area - East Bay
    I had good luck with a set of circle k strings. Balanced tension and tone that works well with the sr5's naturally enthusiastic character.

If the intonation issue you were having wasn't a twisted string it maybe that the pickup is too high, or maybe both.

Cheers
    Neil

16. Stone Soup

Stone Soup

Dec 3, 2012
    The best sounding strings on a 4 string Stingray, for me, have been Fat Beams--once they break in. They sounded fantastic, but I don't like the way they feel. I use Dunlop nickels on my Stingray 5. They sound great on that bass and they last a good while.

17. Marley's Ghost

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Could be. I tried 3 times to re-install them 6 months ago and couldn't get them right. Very odd.

18. 73jbass

73jbass Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2004
    Ellenwood,Ga.
    Nothing but Elixirs on my MM bases.

19. Stone Soup

Stone Soup

Dec 3, 2012
    Yeah. I forgot about Elixir. I liked them, too. Unfortunately, I have trouble getting over the fuzzy coating after it starts to wear. Great sounding strings, though.

20. Britbonic

Britbonic Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Just installed a set of DR nickel lo riders on my SR5 last night. Got a custom set that is same gauge as the stock EB. I had no trouble installing or intonating replacing one string at a time and measuring based on the old one. Stretched and tuned and everything was perfect. A rough check of intonation showed there was no significant change from the EBs. I'll do a more accurate check today with my strobe tuner. Messing around last night I couldn't put the bass down! Strings fell great - slightly more tension than EBs - and at least at home very impressed with tone.