Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

musings...

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by tww001, Dec 20, 2004.

1. tww001

tww001

Aug 13, 2003
    Telford, PA
    Just out of pure curiosity, has anyone ever heard of roundwound strings for the DB? Obviously one couldn't bow with them. Has it been done though?

2. JonB

JonB

May 27, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Sure. When I was a lad, I played on a school-owned Kay with roundwound guts (E and A)
    You're right - they were unbowable!

3. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    Look at LaBella Supernyls.
    They use a multi-strand nylon core, and the E & A are wrapped with round metal wire. The D & G are wrapped with round nylon.
    They're inexpensive.

4. Brent Norton

Brent Norton

Sep 26, 2003
    Detroit, MI
    Some of the wound guts available today (Efrano, Lenzner, Labella, etc) are wound with round wire, usually the E & A.

5. Curious if metal roundwounds would increase fingerboard pitting. That's not such an issue on fretted instruments, but I wonder if roundwounds would be abrasive to my fingerboard...

6. tww001

tww001

Aug 13, 2003
    Telford, PA
    I have roundwounds on my fretless slab, and I've not noticed any wear on the fingerboard, and rosewood is softer than ebony...

7. Most wound gut strings have round windings, and yes you can bow them quite well as folks have done for centuries. I don't see why roundwound metal strings wouldn't bow well to.

8. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    The first set of Compass 360's that i used a few years ago had what appeared to be a roundwound type of outer wrap. They oculd be bowed but it toook some adjustment with the right hand.