1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

muting slapped open E while slapping A?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by ToshitomoriOh, Jul 28, 2012.

1. ToshitomoriOh

ToshitomoriOh

Jul 28, 2012
    I've been practicing POW based on a YouTube videohttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0myREyGO7JM

At the end of part 1 of the tab, the guy just slapped the open E string twice before doing 5h7 on A. I was wondering how he's muting the slapped E string while slapping the A string (5 fret). I just can't tell how he's doing that from the video. I would really appreciate it if some experienced bass players could help me on that. Much love from JAPAN.

2. Geroi Asfalta

Geroi Asfalta

Aug 23, 2011
    When I slap my left hand will mute unused strings for me. My left thumb normally sits over the top of the board and I use it for both fretting and muting

3. lburton2

lburton2 Les Is More

May 15, 2008
    Detroit, MI
    I'm not an advocate for pulling your fretting hand thumb over the board.. You can usually use the tip of your fretting hand fingers to mute the strings above and the lower base of your fingers to help mute the strings below the ones you're fretting.

4. Thumpy McGroove

Thumpy McGroove

Jul 11, 2012
    Maine
    When you move to the A string and slap your thumb will hit the A string, but the meaty part of the palm behind the thumb will make contact with the E string. Since that meaty, soft part of the palm hits the E string it should stop it from vibrating.
    I slap parallel so if thats not your style I'm not sure it would work:bassist:

5. Tupac

Tupac

May 5, 2011
    I have the exact problem while playing Take The Power Back by RATM.

6. ToshitomoriOh

ToshitomoriOh

Jul 28, 2012
    Thanks guys!! I think I should just go back to the basics (parallel) instead of slapping like flea.

7. t77mackie

t77mackie

Jun 13, 2012
    Wormtown, MA
    I'm not sure what he's doing - but I just played that line & I noticed that I mute the strings with my left hand pretty much after every note. It's a finesse thing - and practice, practice, practice!

Maybe start off with some simpler stuff and work your way up - the obligatory Higher Ground comes to mind...

Also note - his bass / rig is set up to perfection and he doesn't have to slap and pop all that hard to make it sound the way it does.