mutt Strats or Teles -- who's got 'em?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by roller, Nov 7, 2021.

1. roller

roller Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2014
    Any of you bassists own mutt/Frankenstein Strats or Teles? If so, how have you got yours rigged up?

2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    No actual Strats here, a couple of Teles. Main one I'm playing these days is a Bill Lawrence Swampkaster Thinline, patterned after the '69 Thinline. I think mine's better than most Fenders.

Low8 likes this.
  3. Fernando Costa

Fernando Costa

Aug 4, 2013
    Lisbon
    A MIM HSS Strat with Duncans, S-1 switch and a Original Hot Rod Floyd Rose. 1 vol and 1 tone.

IMG_2439.JPG IMG_2431.JPG IMG_2437.JPG IMG_2434.JPG

Low8 likes this.
  4. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    I'm building a mutt HSS strat with a scalloped board from Jackson pieces. Gotta get back to that soon.

Low8 likes this.
  5. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Gold Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    For >35 years I've owned this Yamaha SE-200, which was a cheap entry level semi-Strat clone that I subsequently "upgraded" with LSR tuners, a graphite nut, a Schaller bridge, and Seymour Duncan Vintage Rails pickups. Great sounding guitar, and it made its way onto a lot of studio recordings over those many years.

Yamaha-SE-200.jpg

But a year or two ago I realized that the neck had developed an uncurable twist and it was no longer playable. Time to retire it. Since I loved those Duncan pickups, the plan was to salvage them and put them into some new guitar. Decided that since I've always wanted a Tele I'd pursue that platform. Called up Warmoth and had them custom build an all-Padauk Telecaster body rear-routed for three Strat pickups, and an all Padauk Telecaster neck with ebony fingerboard and stainless steel frets. Bought another Schaller bridge (in black this time) and Schaller tuners.
    Here's a mock up before the electronics got installed:

padouk-mock-up.jpg

Full disclosure: ^^^that pic was taken just before the pandemic got crazy, and I have made zero progress on completing that guitar ever since! The parts are all still sitting in my closet, waiting for me to have some time to finish up the project. I suck.

6. roller

roller Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2014
    Aw, man... this is gonna be sweet! Gotta get back on the horse and update us with progress pics!

Bob_Ross likes this.
  7. roller

roller Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2014
    Please do and update us!

Decades ago, I picked up a used Made in Japan Fender Strat (ash body, all-maple neck). I modded the pickups and wiring:

- Lace Sensors in the neck and middle
    - Duncan Hot Rails in the bridge
    - push-pulls in the three knobs to give me a) 7-way switching, b) invert the phase in positions 2 and 4 and c) series/parallel control on the Hot Rails

A few years back, I needed a fretjob... and after receiving a quote on what that would cost, I opted to buy a new neck from Warmoth:

- pau ferro neck and fretboard
    - stainless steel vintage frets
    - asymmetric Eddie Van Halen neck carve
    - 1 3/4" Tusq nut

It's my first solidbody electric and continues to be a fantastic guitar.

Screen Shot 2021-11-08 at 12.15.28 AM.jpeg

Nedmundo likes this.
  8. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    My 2004 Strat isn't much of a Frankenstein, but I have replaced the stock pickups with Lace Hot Golds, including the overwound bridge pickup. These pickups are fantastic, and might actually cut through too much, which is odd to contemplate as a bassist. My other electric guitar is the Comanche (2015), which was Leo Fender's final take on the Strat format. In a sense, it's Leo's Frankenstein Strat, what with the Z-coil pickups, passive bass control, and expander switch that allows neck+bridge or all three pickups. It's a great guitar, but for whatever reason actual Fenders seem to sound better through my Deluxe Reverb Tone Master amp, both my Strat and others I've tested in shops.

551ADCC0-806C-4EDA-93E2-1C9A53B48631.jpeg

Low8 likes this.
  9. roller

roller Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2014
    Yeah, those Hot Golds are nice -- I went with one in the middle position. I've got an Emerald in the neck.

For years, a buddy of mine ran the regular Golds in the neck and middle on his Warmoth Strat and always had a great tone.

Nedmundo likes this.