MXR Bass Octave

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by gkirkin, Feb 16, 2006.

1. gkirkin

May 23, 2005
    Im looking at getting one pretty soon, in looking for a pedal to thicken up my sound. Is this the right way to go about it??
    Which other pedals would you recomend.
  2. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    The bass octave would do a fine job, from what I hear, except for lower (below A) notes, where theres a little problem with tracking. Again, from what I hear.

The Big Bottom section of the Aphex Bass Exciter can thicken stuff up to. It's basically a low pass filter into a compressor, then that signal added in to the origanal. Bassically you get more bass without increased volume.

Another thing to think about, if you don't have one already, is a tube preamp or a tube emulator (like a SansAmp). I have the SansAmp Para Driver DI and it does a good job of beefing up my sound, and even gives me a great overdrive. There are also two other versions of the SansAmp:

1) The Bass Driver: Has a Presence knob instead of shiftable mids.
    2) The Programmable Bass Driver: Same as above, but you can store three tones

Quick EDIT: Oh, ya and the SAs even out your tone a bit to...
  3. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    yeah, it's ok but nothing special. Tracking wasn't wonderful. For the same money, check out the digitech bass synth wah - best octaver out there.
  4. vision

vision It's all about the groove!

Feb 25, 2005
    Ann Arbor, MI

I have both pedals, and now I'm just using the Digitech BSW. It tracks great, and the tone is really good. The additional filter effects available make it a no brainer.
  5. gkirkin

May 23, 2005
    Having looked on the digitech site and played about with the samples, it sounds pretty cool, but can it be set to be just the octave, not the synth??
  6. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    yes, just turn the synth effect down so all you're left with is octave
  7. CallMeBlind

Jul 19, 2003
    Can you turn original octave off with it?
  8. jujube_2a

Jan 18, 2006
    Corsica, France
    No, you can't control the "dry" level with the Digitech Bass Synth Wah.
    I owned this pedal, and that's why because I sold it.
    Now I have the MXR and it does good job as a classic octaver effect.

For gkirkin:
    If you're looking for a pedal to thincken up your sound, I suggest you to go for the Aphex Bass Exciter or stuff like that instead of octaver pedals.
  9. The MXR Micro-Amp has a wicked boosting capability that buffs up my passive jazz bass nicely.