1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mxr Blue Box Fuzz/Octaver

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Duncorama, Mar 3, 2008.

1. Duncorama

Duncorama

Nov 7, 2007
    Has anyone ever used or ever heard one of these being used on a bass?
    Just ordered one of ebay and wondered if anyone had any experience.

2. Valerus

Valerus

Aug 4, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    I will tonight. I'll post a review up later.

3. bigchiefbc

bigchiefbc Supporting Member

Oct 9, 2006
    Rhode Island, USA
    I have never used one myself, but I did quite a bit of research on it. It is two-octave down, and then fuzz. Its a cool effect, but this is going to basically restrict you to playing on the upper register of the D and G strings on a bass.

As an aside, I ended up buying a Mid-Fi Glitch Computer, which is the same basic effect, except it also has the option of making the octaver glitch around your note.

4. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
  5. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    I got the Sinister Analog Soul Provider way better

6. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    I really like the Blue Box. I fried mine by accident.

7. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    I had one for a while, and it does make some cool noise, but it's useless with a band. And it's also true that you can only play in the upmost registers on the D and G strings, anything lower sounds like a giant with a bad case of gas. (and no self control)

8. I can't imagine playing without one (I'm even getting a tattoo of it), great for "bad signal radio" sounds

9. Duncorama

Duncorama

Nov 7, 2007
    Cheers for the replies.
    I bought it because it was cheaper than i had ever seen it before and i'd heard it's either good for a synthy type tone or complete noise.
    This is good because i'm in a two piece band with a drummer, i already have my basic setup but i was looking for something that could accentuate (s/p?) the bits where our tunes kick in as well being able to create some heavy noise for certain parts of certain tunes as supposed to resorting to feedback (the same feedback gets really old if it's over used!).

10. The Blue Box is a great little pedal. With the blend turned all the way clockwise, it acts as a pretty normal, synthy fuzz. Then you just turn the blend knob up to taste, and instant glitch tone! Quite the beast.

-Le Seaworthy Bassist

11. Jester85

Jester85

Feb 9, 2008
    Russia
    Blue box is cool after mod. Realy loud and opened sound. From gated fuzz to mad fuzz to noise box. Great.

12. Valerus

Valerus

Aug 4, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    scratch that. I didn't get a hold of it.

13. Deluge Of Sound

Deluge Of Sound Banned

Nov 8, 2007
    Maine/Vermont
    I love my Blue Box. I've had it for... two years? maybe less?

It's great, it's not very useful for most contexts, but if you put the blend at about 1 'o clock you get a great blend between the fuzz and the octav/glich. I use mine for when I can totally use the extra low-end in the noise-y bits of the stuff I play. It adds a lot of low-end (but that's to be expected, what with the two-octave/one-octave drop and all)

Be warned, it's very "artificial" sounding, and that may not be your cup of tea.

14. pompompom

pompompom

Dec 31, 2003
    I like the blue box but DOD's Buzz Box does almost the same thing BUT the octaver works at random making it very, very, ver, very BREWTAL.

But you'll probably end up paying a ridicously price. (but I got mine for 50 euros :D )

15. Duncorama

Duncorama

Nov 7, 2007
    I've read about the mod you can do to change the volume on this.
    How technically minded/skilled do you have to be to pull it off?
    I ask because i have never done anything remotely close to soldering etc.
    Would i be best taking it to a shop?
    Cheers for the responses too, it seems like i'm going to get a lot of use out of it.

16. Deluge Of Sound

Deluge Of Sound Banned

Nov 8, 2007
    Maine/Vermont
    For what it's worth, I never notice volume drop off with a power supply or a fresh battery.

17. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    Aha... I now know ONE of your pedals. :ninja:

18. LungDisease

LungDisease

Nov 20, 2006
    ...Canada
    not at all, it's really simple.

If you want to put the switch in, it requires some soldering, but otherwise it's not much more than a quick cut.

19. Duncorama

Duncorama

Nov 7, 2007
    What is the resulting difference between having the switch in and leaving it out?
    Cheers!

20. LungDisease

LungDisease

Nov 20, 2006
    ...Canada
    I've always felt that the switch was worthless, since you changed the pedal to make it louder. Why would you want to go back?

Basically, it allows you to flip between having the mod on and having it off.