1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

My Band: Please let me know what you think!

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Mr_Soup, Apr 20, 2009.

1. Mr_Soup

Mr_Soup

Jul 14, 2005
    New Orleans
  2. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive

Jul 1, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Your guitar player needs to get his intonation checked on his guitar.

Bass tone sounds tasty, vocals sound solid, drum work gets the job done, but could stand to be more forward in the mix IMO.

3. phippsyg

phippsyg

May 28, 2007
    Sydney
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amplification, Optima Strings
    Checked out the first tune, some great ideas and pretty catchy. Could sound awesome re-recorded.

4. Lichtaffen

Lichtaffen

Sep 29, 2008
    Rhode Island
    I like the way your playing interacts with the vocal lines.

5. braz_b2

braz_b2

Mar 17, 2009
    nice, reminds me of motion city soundrack

6. Nice collection of songs. I liked them. You play well together as a band. The vocals and musicianship was very good.

The mix can make or break a song. Some of the songs got lost a bit in the mix at certain points. Mixing and recording is an art in itself. For the self producing small guy this can be just as important as the music itself. I've been doing it off and on for 30 years and I'm still learning the hard way...

Good luck out there.

Happy Trails

Cynical One

7. Whats with the guitar player? He didn't match his colors like you and the drummer:D Sounds very good though.

8. PinkFloydDan

PinkFloydDan

Jul 4, 2005
    Buffalo
    Vocals and bass are good. Your bass compliments the music well. A lot of notes, melodic, but the guitar is bothering me a little.

9. bgressman82

bgressman82

Mar 5, 2009
    why does everyone always complain about recording issues on a demo? sure, if you spend a few hundred thousand, it should sound perfect. your demo sounds better than mine, and people are already trying to buy mine before it's done. your bands got talent, stick with it and you'll go far.

10. Jonny B

Jonny B

Nov 5, 2006
    WI
    Because if it sounds like **** it's kind of hard to get the point across. I've heard many, many demos that sounded great and were done for cheap. I've heard many demos that sounded like *** that were done for thousands.

To the OP, sounds pretty good. I really like your playing. Some very tasty chops going on.

11. anchor_th

anchor_th

Oct 23, 2008
    sounds a lot like there's some ska going on.

I waited for the horns to come in but was sad when they didn't. =[

It was good though. 9/10. =]

12. Man, I really like your sound. I like the band in all.

When you'll throw out a cd gimme a sign

13. Tumeni Notes

Tumeni Notes

Jan 2, 2009
    I only had a quick chance to hear the first song (I will check out your other songs later). You all sound great and I really like the stick clicky-thing your drummer is doing. You have a catchy song, great singing, and a groovy bass line.

:hyper::hyper:

14. Mr_Soup

Mr_Soup

Jul 14, 2005
    New Orleans
    Thanks for listening, all of you! I thought this thread had died weeks ago.

Yeah, the quality is a little iffy. We recorded the first two tracks in my guitarist's apartment. College is great.

If anyone's interested, you can download any of the tracks for free at http://gammaringo.bandcamp.com

Oh, and we'll have some new songs up in the coming weeks, I swear.

Thanks, and keep listening :]

John

15. Wow talk about TASTY bass, duder! Just LOWDAH is all I say, brah! :hyper:

16. chanson

chanson Supporting Member

Your guys' sound seems very Dinosaur Jr influenced. Am I correct in guessing this?
    It's awesome to see someone playing the Stu Hamm Urge II bass. The only time I've seen/heard it is with Stu himself. I've always been interested in it and wondered how it would perform in the context of a "normal" band. How are you liking that bass?

By the way, I just added you guys on myspace last night. I'm the guy with the gold Stingray in the default pic.

17. Mr_Soup

Mr_Soup

Jul 14, 2005
    New Orleans
    Hey, just an update for you guys:

We've got a new song up at http://gammaringo.bandcamp.com

"In Japan"

Free download etc.etc.

Let me know what you think!

18. backline112

backline112 Guest

Jun 3, 2008
    Neophyte here:

It's pretty good. Bookmarked.

19. First couple of songs and your playng remind me of toad the wet sprocket. Nice! i like the songs.