My Big Muff

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by screamingdaisy, Oct 28, 2005.

1. Bought it used for ~$102USD.....

After playing it for a bit I noticed that it wasn't as agressive as all the other Muff's I've tried. It had a much smoother tone to it and didn't mush out as much on palm mutes, so I bought it, brought it home, and opened it up.....

2. BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    ...No LED, strange switch at the back, smoother than other Muffs? I believe that's the original American Muff, no?

Paging tplyons, tplyons to the front desk please...

3. I think it's the version I Muff, the one that's commonly refered to as the "Triangle Muff"....except for some reason it's stuck in a Version III housing. :meh:

I'm pretty sure it was him (amoung others) who asked for pics....I just didn't want to dig up the old thread.

Oh, and P.S. - In the first pic all the knobs are at "10".....
  4. Hmm...looks like I might've been wrong.

I've posted this thread up on a few forums looking for info.

Someone else posted a pic of a nearly identical Muff circuit. It appears that mine is a verII circuit that's in a VerIII box, except that mine's been modded somehow. I have a pic of what the stock bottom should look like, but I'm still trying to find a pic of the stock top.....just to see what all's been done, and to see if anyone who mods pedals could tell me what these mods have done.
  5. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    what resistor isn't being used in that circuit?!
  6. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    First of all, based on the knobs and the EH-3003 model, it dates to the mid '70's to around 1980. Yes, it's the transistor version, otherwise known as the triangle version. As far as the case, couldn't tell you off the top of my head, used to have much more detailed notes on Muff's floating around.

What's the date code on those transistors?
  7. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Well that's the transistor model they used, so that's about right.

That's all that's on it then?

8. Yeah, that's all that's on it....and I couldn't find a date or date code written on anything I looked at.