1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My Budget Home Recording Studio is Complete!

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Bass4lyf, Mar 14, 2009.

1. Bass4lyf

Bass4lyf

Nov 1, 2008
    Sydney
    Hey guys!, ok, im 16, go to school, and have barely any money, and my band was looking to get some decent recordings happening, so i spent the past few months saving for recording equipment and my mini studio is finished...for now.

I first bought a Presonus Audiobox 2x2 usb interface, then an AKG D22 instrument mic (for kick drum, guitars and maybe bass), followed by a Rode M3 condenser mic (for drum overheads, vocals, guitar and maybe bass), some mic stands, and most recently a pair of AKG K99 headphones which should be arriving in the next couple days.

I am currently using my computer speakers for mixing, they arent crappy little speakers, they are actually pretty decent for what computer speakers are, even though they arent reference monitors. I will eventually get a pair of average reference monitors down the track, and maybe even midi keyboard controller.

Despite that, i feel that ive got enough equipment and the right equipment to start recording and produce decent enough audio quality in the songs, and next weekend, my band starts recording.

My bands link is ....
    www.myspace.com/mybestwishesband

Add us and when some of our songs are up, check em out!

Anyways, if you have had any experince with my equipment listed above, and no how to use it best, let me know! You can even let me know what would be a really good investment to add to my little studio.
    Thanks guys

Bass4lyf

2. Could you post prices for those items, im in the same situation except i play the drums and bass and my friend plays guitar and sings and we're looking to get a demo out, we found a couple of decent drummers that might work out permenantely

3. Bass4lyf

Bass4lyf

Nov 1, 2008
    Sydney
    No worries! Keep in mind that these prices are in AUD and I bought all of my recent equipment brand new off ebay shops (the best thing to do if you care about saving a decent amount of money). If you live in Australia like me, I'd reccommend buying from the "Drum_Power" shop on ebay. Great deals.

Anyways, the prices...

Presonus Audiobox 2x2 usb interface = RRP $350, I bought it for $280.
    AKG D22 instrument mic = RRP $180, I bought it for $100.
    Rode M3 condenser mic = RRP $240, I bought it for $170.
    AKG K99 headphones = RRP $130, I bought it for $75.
    2 Mic stands = RRP $100, I bought for $100.

Total RRP = $1000
    Total of what I payed = $725

You can pay less by cutting down on some things, like the headphones i bought, you could get the ones down from that that are cheaper such as the k44's, and they are pretty much as good and are like $25 cheaper. You can also buy much cheaper interfaces, but obviously the cheaper you go, the less quality sound you can produce, but it isnt much different. If you have a decent pair of headphones, than you dont need reference monitors or any kind of speakers or subs or whatever.
    Hope that helped.