1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

my Dean Acoustic EAB and electronics issues

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by chopsy, Aug 13, 2012.

1. chopsy

chopsy

Jul 3, 2012
    Utica, NY
    so I picked up a Dean EAB fretless for a bluegrassy band I'm in. not gonna rave about it because it's a cheap bass and I'm sure others have probably pointed out some of it's flaws but I am happy with it until I can afford an actual double bass.

it was a craigslist purchase and looked brand new when I got it, so I got a great deal on an already cheap bass. previous owner also graduated to a real upright bass so he barely played it.

I'm currently playing it as if it was an upright by sitting it up vertically on a chair. I am playing it with some hearty slapping and the sound is picked up surprisingly well by the "dean passive pickup." unfortunately every so often a slap will be met by a loud buzz/distortion which doesn't go away until another good slap. until I slap it a second time to "fix" it the notes all sound like garbage.

any clue what is going on here? as the PR stuff says, this is a passive pickup I guess.. could my problems be coming from the 9volt powered tuner that is wired into the pickup circuitry?? I don't need the tuner, each of my bandmates has a clip on tuner and I can certainly join the club if it will make it so I can return to my slap happy playing. I suppose I could also get another pickup besides the stock Dean one but I would like to keep from putting any money into this bass as that will cut into my upright funds.

2. chopsy

chopsy

Jul 3, 2012
    Utica, NY
    bump, any ideas?

should I just abandon the Dean electronics and start from scratch with a new pickup? I like the looks of the K&K purebass and I am pretty sure I could install it myself.