1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

my dilema

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mike 257, Jan 5, 2012.

1. Mike 257

Mike 257

Mar 8, 2011
    KCMO
    I have only been playing bass for 6 months now, I already have a Marcus Miller Sig , this week I saw a Squire Vintage Mod in the music store. I played it and like the way it sounds and I really like the way it looks. Maple neck block inlay that I love , I really have a thing for block inlay although I know it has nothing to do with playability I just love the way it looks . My M M does more than what I need it to do ,and is capable of a lot more than I'm able to do at this point. I also love the way the Marcus sounds, but I'm hot for this squire. At $275 I can't see not buying this bass ,am I crazy here ? Will these basses always be made and stay at this price ? I just feel like I need to jump on this although I don't know why I need a second bass at this time. Any thoughts ?

2. BassChuck

BassChuck Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    There will always be a distraction to keep you from playing better. Part of music talent is having the discpline to stay on task. I can assure you that buying the Squire will not keep better deals from coming your way.

Like the Chinese say, "You can't keep the birds from flying over your head, but you can keep them from building a nest in your hair".

Forget the Squire. Learn a new song. Find a way to know the fretboard better. Be happy with your music.

3. I personally don't buy basses for their looks. I would let this pass, and I think you will probably be able to buy that same, or very similar Squiers (spelling?) for a long time to come, and probably on the used market for cheaper than they are new. All of course IMHO.

4. Swampman Cory

Swampman Cory

Nov 9, 2009
    Los Angeles / ex-Michigan
    Endorsing Artist: Reunion Blues, 64 Audio, Mesa Engineering
    I would say keep one or the other, but not both right now. I would also say keep the one you have already.

5. Mike 257

Mike 257

Mar 8, 2011
    KCMO
    Thanks guys for the logical answers , I know another bass right now would be an absolute waste of money and just a distraction , I sometimes get caught up in looking at everyone's photos of multiple basses and somehow think I need more than one. I'm more than happy with what I have and really didn't have an extra $275.
    Ok now I can get back to practice and not think about this anymore.

6. Welcome to the painful and wonderful world of GAS

7. MakoMan

MakoMan

Oct 17, 2011
    I'll take an opposing viewpoint. You don't NEED another bass, but heck, if you like the bass and can afford it, why not?
    I've only been playing 3 months and just picked up a new Gretsch G2202 Junior Jet last week to go with my Squire VM Jag SS. I just loved the look and the deal was too good to pass up. Is it any better?.... not a whit. But it IS different and I find I've been playing even more since I got it, switching back and forth between the two basses and having a blast with each one. I love the Jet and I also appreciate the Squire even more now. They have many similarities, but they each have their own feel and sound.
    I took the Jag to my weekly lesson yesterday and my instructor even commented that I must have been practicing a lot in the past week LOL!
    Anyway, you're not talking a $2,000 bass here, just a cheapie Squire. It's always good to have two basses. You have a backup... you can tune one to BEAD if you want. At the very least, having a second bass to switch to can help relieve boredom. It feels a bit different, plays a bit different and makes you concentrate a bit harder. I say buy it and have fun.
    If you find you want a 3rd bass in a couple of weeks you may indeed have a problem. Unless it's an acoustic... I bought one of those too :).

8. Two basses is not bad GAS. If you could afford it. You might even find a used one cheaper.

9. Mike 257

Mike 257

Mar 8, 2011
    KCMO
    LOL

Mako good point , I thought I was going to let this go but I been thinking about it all day at work. I mean for one thing there are places I go that I dont like taking my MM like my hunting cabin for instance , I also take it to work sometimes . Also I just started taking lessons and the room I sit in is so small that I keep banging my bass on the wall . Sometimes I bring my bass to work so I can practice after work with another guy who plays bass, and we are practicing in our shop . The guy I work with accidentally banged his bass on a piece of steel that was sitting on the work bench , it didnt seem to bother him much but if it were me I would have been pissed . So Im still throwing the idea around .

10. I say grab the Squier. It's a great bass and will make a nice inexpensive backup for the MM.