1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My first album... finally!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Felken, Sep 30, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Felken

Felken

Jun 28, 2016
    Ottawa, CAN
    Boy oh boy, when I joined TB 4 years ago I was a teenager that just started playing a year ago. Since then I've had plenty of jam sessions that led nowhere, one unsuccessful metal band, many a cancelled gigs, and finally found two great guys that I shared a vision with.

Basically I found these guys miraculously through kijiji. After getting kicked from the metal band for being "socially awkward" (understandably so), I had come to the conclusion that metal, although great to listen to, was not for me.

So I decided to pursue my second musical interest, which is jazz. So I hopped on to kijiji with the intention of posting an ad to find two guys to start a jazz fusion trio together.
    I didn't even have to post that ad, there was literally an ad on the front page with the title "LF bassist for jazz fusion trio"

Duuuude. You can't make this up. I contacted them, set up a jam time, and boy was the chemistry there.

We've been together for a year now and everything is going amazingly. We've finished our first album, which has had some very positive feedback so far (from people that aren't mommy and daddy mind you ;)), we have gigs lined up, posters, CDs, and a small but growing following.

So what's the point of this thread? I guess I just want to talk about how it feels to finally accomplish your goals after a long time. I've always wanted to be in a trio, making the type of music I love. I've always had to make compromises before. The guys didn't like the same music, we were a 5-piece band, didn't have any place to practice, stuff like that. The guys are incredible, they are legitimate competent musicians that can discuss theory, have a good sense of musicality, and have a drive to make good music. Also I want to promote my band.

If you guys are interested in listening, I've included one of the songs that will be on the album. It's a song inspired by Japanese jazz fusion from the late 70's.

We're also on FB if anyone actually wants to follow us.

So that's all. Crazy how much life changes in a few years.

2. grimjim

grimjim

Jan 26, 2014
    Chicago, Illinois
    Endorsing artist;DNA Amplification, GHS strings
    Congrats! Forward progress is always rewarding.

DJ Bebop and Felken like this.
  3. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

good stuff, nice playing! glad you're finally 'in the mix'...hip to the bone! congrats! :thumbsup:

Mr Cheese, DJ Bebop and Felken like this.
  4. JeroB666

JeroB666

Dec 22, 2012
    Canada
    Dude that is tight! Reminds me a little of Vital Information.

Love the bass tone (give us some info on gear ;)! ), the guitarist can get some serious licks and that drum snare sound is tighter than a fat guy in spandex.

I just wish there was a bass solo section!

pcake, Outshined91, Mr Cheese and 3 others like this.
  5. JeroB666

JeroB666

Dec 22, 2012
    Canada
    Also, you forgot to mention the album doesnt drop until October 16th! You are an evil man

javi_bassist, DJ Bebop and Felken like this.
  6. That track sounds good! Congratulations!

But you were kicked out of a metal band for being socially awkward? I thought social awkwardness was a prerequisite for joining a metal band. :roflmao:

7. Felken

Felken

Jun 28, 2016
    Ottawa, CAN
    I was offered a bass solo by the guitarist originally, but I turned it down because I really wanted to keep the groovy bassline going (the one that plays during the final solo).

As for gear, it’s a Squier VM jazz bass 5, with the bridge pickup soloed and tone rolled off. I pluck close to the bridge as well. The signal was sent into an Axe-fx, it’s basically a clean tone with boosted mids and light compression. The bass is also side-chained to the kick drum.

The guys in the band are great. The drums especially sound spectacular. I really appreciate your feedback! It genuinely means a lot to us.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2020
  8. Felken

Felken

Jun 28, 2016
    Ottawa, CAN
    Whaaaa? Dang I wish. I think what they meant is that I’m not “metal enough”. I wear bright colours, I have short hair, I barely ever swear, I’m introverted, I basically look like a classical music enthusiast rather than a metalhead.:D

The Owl, BassikBrad and DJ Bebop like this.
  9. Felken

Felken

Jun 28, 2016
    Ottawa, CAN
    Hahahaha whoops. It crossed my mind while writing it, but looks like I just forgot :laugh:

DJ Bebop and JeroB666 like this.
  10. Your drummer rocks...fire him

11. foolforthecity

foolforthecity Supporting Member

I’m lovin’ it!

Felken likes this.
  12. JPK_DK

JPK_DK

Aug 9, 2019
    Absolutely amazing - love it! Congratulations! I have only played bass for a little under two years, but that is the kind of music I eventually want to play. Not there yet though... :)

So, how/when can I hear more or buy the record given that I am NOT on FaceBook??? Any other sources of info on the band and the project??

Cheers!

Felken likes this.
  13. 2saddleslab

2saddleslab Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
    Sounds nice, congrats! Few things more thrilling than the release of new recording project.

Felken likes this.
  14. DrThumpenstein

DrThumpenstein Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2015
    St Louis, MO
    Really digging your tone and playing. That is a tight, professional sound. Congratulations on reaching that place on your musical journey!

Felken likes this.
  15. Raw N Low

Raw N Low If I can't hear it, hopefully I'll feel it Supporting Member

Jul 16, 2009
    Denver, Colorado
    No shame there. In this business, we call that "experience". Congrats on the new album, and I hope your progress inspires you to keep growing.

In 2020 there are still imitation musicians who are about "that life". Right now, Metal and Hip-Hop are the two biggest cliches in the industry.

People can fight me if they don't like my opinion...

Lloydtownsend, The Owl and Felken like this.
  16. mexicanyella

mexicanyella

Feb 16, 2015
    Troy, MO
    You just go ahead and wear whatever kind of shirts you want; that was some cool playing! Nice work!

Felken likes this.
  17. Felken

Felken

Jun 28, 2016
    Ottawa, CAN
    Gotta do whatcha gotta do

JeezyMcNuggles likes this.
  18. Felken

Felken

Jun 28, 2016
    Ottawa, CAN
    Instagram is another option, we’re also in there, but I get that a lot of people who aren’t on FB are also not on insta. Another option if you’re really interested in our music, we’ll be on every music platform there is, so you can probably follow us on one of those.

The album will be released on October 16th, you can listen on every streaming platform, buy it on bandcamp or iTunes. If you’re also interested in a CD, send me a PM and I’ll hook you up.

That’s cool to hear you like fusion! I’ve only been playing for 5 or so years at this point, my suggestion would be to practice as much as possible, don’t skimp out on theory, and listen to a lot of music.

Also, you shouldn’t be too far from your second big learning curve. There’s usually a period close to the two year mark when something just clicks, and you start making an exponential amount of progress.

Outshined91 likes this.
  19. Felken

Felken

Jun 28, 2016
    Ottawa, CAN
    I get the feeling now! It’s really an accomplishment. Glad I can finally share that experience with other musicians.

20. Felken

Felken

Jun 28, 2016
    Ottawa, CAN
    That’s our goal! Usually when people say “hey listen to our new EP/song” people expect to hear a crappy demo with lots of distortion and mistakes. We basically did everything to sound as professional and well-composed as we could. It certainly paid off, thanks for listening!