1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

My First Album

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by curious_george, Apr 22, 2009.

1. Hey guys

My band launched our first album for free download last night. I would really appreciate any comments or critiques because I really value TB's collective opinion. We recorded it in my lead singers house but I think it came out great. If you are worried about a dl, you can also stream it by clicking on the songs.

Check it out

www.listentomatt.com

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    listened to 2 tracks... dug them. Submitted for download and haven't gotten my 'code' yet.

3. thats strange, it should send an email instantly. I say try it again, and if it doesn't work i'll find you a unique code for a dl. Im glad you dug it, and I want you to finish it so pm me if you have a problem.

4. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    tried again and nothing (page doesn't acknowledge my click now). tried again in IE (previous 2 were in firefox)... IE says "error on page" with a little caution sign in the bottom bar.

5. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    Sounds really good, and I dig the vibe you guys have going. The songs are well-constructed and have good melodies. Good job!

6. Sounds great, but having trouble with the button too.. :atoz:

7. Greyvagabond

Greyvagabond

Aug 17, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Wow, recorded in a home studio? It sounds great! Good melodies, has a real mid 90's pop sound to it!

8. hmm i called my web designer aka Matt mccloskey and he said he will try to debug. We haven't had any problems on mac or safari, and I used Firefox for mac this morning. I try to get to the bottom of this. In the mean time, if you pm me you email, ill get a code for you and send you the dl.

9. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    I'm on XP Pro sp3.

IE gives the following info on the error:

Line: 333
    Char: 58
    Error: Access is denied

you can send my code to webguy@myselfalone.com

10. ok guys, hes working to fix the problem, but i noticed if you clear your history it works. So i think its a caching problem.

11. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    while clearing histories and cookies is a quick fix for some issues, it's not a solution to any issue. Fix the code and the clearing becomes unnecessary :p Also, I do not use IE on this laptop, so there was no history to clear.

I got the email, downloaded the aiff and converted them to MP3 (I listen to MP3s but always download the best source offered)...

anyway, good stuff... not sure where it's going to be targeted. It's kinda country, kinda pop, kinda alt rock. Tell Matt that my wife (country and dance fan) said "not bad" (she hates 90% of what I like). I must say it is one of the most professional collections of tunes I've heard on Talkbass.

12. svtb15

svtb15

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig
    That SP3 has caused me so many issues.. i reformatted my machine to go back to SP2.. My good bud is an IT manager.. he will not put SP3 on any of their machines.. the only issue is what will eventually happen is you wont be able to get certain updates in the future . same thing happened with Sp2.. i say ditch the sp3

13. svtb15

svtb15

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig
    i dig the sounds on Bottled up.. great hammond tone. floor tom could be tightened up a little regarding low end slight ring.. but other than that very freakin good...

goes to show ya you dont need a $1,000,000 budget to get some great stuff happening.

Did you use Protools or what? because it doesn't sound like it. it sound analog to me.. good job.

14. Everything was recorded through an apogee digital converter into Logic. We rented a couple nice preamps and just went for it. I think after mix and master the whole project cost under 2 grand.

We didn't do any kind of editing besides over dubs. Dyin was recorded live (at least bass, drums, and guitar) everything else was layered from a click and drum track.

thanks for the kind words

15. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    I've had ZERO issues with sp3 on the 6 machine I use / maintain (my personal laptop, work laptop, DAW, wife's tablet and tower as well as mom-in-law's tower)... that said I work with computers for a living for over 10 years.

16. Your right, it just a work around until he gets it fixed.

Cool man Im glad you and your wife liked it. Matt is real influenced by Tom Petty, ryan adams, ray lamontagne, and dylan, plus he went to school in nashville so i can understand the blending of genres.

17. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us

Cool, I happen to be listening to some Tom Petty currently and have some Ryan Adams in the playlist as well... so this really fits within my tastes.

18. Thats awesome man. Funny story. I was getting my hair cut and my hair dresser asked me what my band sounded like. I said "were rock band influenced by etc, etc, ryan adams." She stops cutting looks up and says, "Man, I love Bryan Adams." I almost fell out of my chair laughing.

19. smeet

smeet Gold Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Good songs, sounds good, nice live sounding drums!

Can you give any details on how it was recorded? Drums in particular are really impressive.

20. Well the drums were recorded first to a click track. We cleared out the living room to matt's little house and placed the drums in the middle of the room on wood floors. We actually didn't love the drum sound because we had a lot of bleeding into the kick mic, but the mixing guy was able to eq some out. I think we used all 8 channels of the apogee for drums two overheads, kick, top and bottom snare, hats, and two toms. Are drummer has a dw kit with built in shure drum mics that sound pretty good.

The bass was recorded by micing a Eden 210 xlt with a Shure beta52 powered by a Aguilar AG500 (broken and sold).

all digital recording through a presonnus adl600 into an apogee interface into Logic, but the mixing was done on an analog console.