1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

My First and probably only P-Bass (FRANKEN)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by flea claypool, Apr 26, 2009.

1. flea claypool

flea claypool

Jun 27, 2004
    Ireland
    So, in a nutshell, i never have been one for P-basses... :bag:

So one day out of the blue, my cousin rings me, offers me a 06 P bass (usa) for free... :bassist: came in the two tone colour sunburst and white pickguard had a badass 2 fitted (which i Loathe) and was generally not my cup of tea.. so i had a few euro's lying spare so i decided id make a small project out of her ;)

Next i ordered hipshot tuners, thumbrest (not fitted yet) string retainer, Vintage bridge (which is FANTASTIC), copper shielding foil, assorted screws, neck plate and switch craft side jack from www.basspartsresources.com yet again another great crowd to deal with thou forgot my neck plate in the order :scowl: thou sent it out and had it within the week top marks to them :bassist::p one note which fkn psd me off was the allen key that came with the hipshot bridge was not the right size at all had to grind down a small flat head screw driver :spit::spit: FFS

Next came the the Pickup, i decided to go on Delano as few have them and was always curious to there oversized magnets, ordered this from bestbassgear.com must say big shout out to Brian Ristola, Shipping was A1 :bassist::bassist:

Ordered an all black no control hole pickguard from warmoth who's international shipping is also great, on a side note i also ordered a Jazz bass Pickguard routed for a P pickup (my next project) and the pickups are exactly the same distance from the neck as the P.. nice to know it retains the P position :bassist::bassist::hyper::hyper:

Undecided what colour i was going for i was originally set on a bright orange, then i was gonna go for Kawasaki Green but eventually settled on Pastel/Baby Blue.. i rang around getting qoutes for her to be sprayed.. the only guitar worthy crowd were a place in england who i shall not name.. 2 small inperfections in the paint which i must take to him during the week to get sorted :) without any more blabbing this is my new toy :bassist::bassist:

its plugged directly into the pickup by the way

P4260008.

P4260009.

P4260010.

P4260012.

P4260015.

I call this pic "THE AFTERMATH" :smug:

P4260016.

P4260023.

P4260024.

Cheers guys :bassist:

2. lorenk

lorenk

Apr 8, 2008
    Bend, Oregon
    Thats one sweet lookin bass! :)

How do you like the delano pup? I've been curious about 'em...

3. christw

christw Get low!

May 11, 2008
    Dayton OH
    I want to be Tesla (tinkerer at Dayton Amp Co)
    I like the look! A lot! Any sound clips for those of us who were also curious about the Delanos? :D

I'd probably try to find a way to hide/integrate a volume knob on it though. I couldn't deal without unless I had a volume pedal or something.

This is making me rethink trading my MIM J off... there was a lot of potential.

4. JulienJeff

JulienJeff

Mar 1, 2009
    Belgium
    I want the same ! :hyper:

5. Dubadays

Dubadays

Apr 4, 2009
    Yeah, I tried a deluxe p-bass, and even though it had a good tone, I felt WAY too limited in the sounds I could make. I could never justify spending that much money on something that could only work on a couple of the songs I play.

6. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    Now that is just hawt!

7. flea claypool

flea claypool

Jun 27, 2004
    Ireland
    Soundclips i will try post in a few days! have no gear here! delano wise im just adjusting to the P's tone atm so its all new to me :) i only decided to put money into it cause i was getting it for free anyway! volume and tone never affected me. i only use volume on the one jazz i use all the time (j retro) so didnt bother me! this is my balls to the walls bass :)

8. flea claypool

flea claypool

Jun 27, 2004
    Ireland
    i know who to sell it too so ;)

9. Darkstrike

Sep 14, 2007
    And I often pass through your county, so, it'd be easy to sort.;)

*breaks penny jar*

10. Rumblefisher

Rumblefisher

Aug 22, 2007
    Astoria, NY
    Wow, that Pbass looks great! Delano makes really good pickups, should sound as good as it looks!

11. Joey3313

Joey3313

Nov 28, 2003
    If you ever get the wish to sell, I'd imagine finding a buyer wouldn't exactly be difficult here.

That thing looks amazing.

12. flea claypool

flea claypool

Jun 27, 2004
    Ireland
    Thanks for the kind words :)

im actually delighted with how it turned out! still finding it heck of alot harder to play then my jazzes but im getting there! the delano is really really nice too :bassist::bassist::bassist:

13. flea claypool

flea claypool

Jun 27, 2004
    Ireland
    Er.. pickup height anyone??

14. Darkstrike

Sep 14, 2007
    3mm below the strings when fretted on the last fret for the bass coil.

2mm for the treble coil.

Adjust to taste from there.

Thats how I do P pickups.

15. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Now Fender's lawyers can send them a cease and desist letter.

16. flea claypool

flea claypool

Jun 27, 2004
    Ireland
    id say he has some way out of it :smug:

17. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Maybe not, he states on his site:

"Please keep this site private. DO NOT post it on public forums, message boards, newsgroups, etc."

Oops.

18. Hi,

I have seen this bass before but, I was wondering if you could post the pictures back up, this being the sexiest bass I have ever seen and would one day wish to own one exactly like that "Franken"