1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My friend needs a bassist...

Discussion in 'Wanted: Bass Players' started by txbasschik, Feb 27, 2008.

1. txbasschik

txbasschik

Nov 11, 2005
    Leander, Texas
    Mods, please move this if you need to.

Our friend, Zak Perry, is in need of a good bassist, and soon. The ideal person should be very proficient, and be able to do limited regional touring. Being able to sing is a big plus. He likes to have someone to sing harmonies. He writes his own songs, as well as performing covers. Here's his MySpace: http://www.myspace.com/zakperry

This is an Austin-area band that plays local and also tours the mid-South and the Southwest.

He's a really great guy, and has years of musical experience behind him. If you think you'd fit in this band, drop him a line, or get ahold of me in here and I can relay your info. (He and my husband's bandmates are building us a room for my mother, so I see him every day.)

If I could do the touring bit of this, I would join his band in a heartbeat. I love his music, a *lot*!

Cherie :bassist:

2. Damn, Cherie, this almost makes me think about relocating to Texas. :) Course, I don't quite fit that "very proficient" part.

I'd love to see him bring his act to northern Colorado some time. Loved every tune on his myspace site.

GL with the search!

billm

3. txbasschik

txbasschik

Nov 11, 2005
    Leander, Texas
    Right? I wish I could pick up this gig. But I'm not quite up to the calibre he's been used to, and I can't do tours for up to ten days. My touring consists of a night or two, at best.

He actually does play in Colorado. Watch his MySpace page...if he can find the right bassist, I'm betting he'll be booking gigs up that way as soon as he can. They had a blast in Colorado, and got very good response. If he mentions a tour there, I'll post it. :)

4. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    Hmmm . . . I wonder what it pays? :)

5. txbasschik

txbasschik

Nov 11, 2005
    Leander, Texas
    Its his main income. He also works with two members of my husband's band as a carpenter, but only when things are slow (as with right now, since he has no bassist and has had to cancel gigs). This particular day job is flexible enough to where he can plan tours and not lose his secondary income in the process. His band makes $3K a night in St. Louis. Local gigs don't pay much for anyone, really, but when they hit the road, they make money. He has a son still in elementary school, so he can't make long tours and do Europe and what-not (lots of local acts go to Europe), but he does go on short regional tours regularly.

His old bassist is a truly awesome player, and would still be with the band if he could. But, he suddenly became a single dad, and so must be home for his kids now.

Truly, if I could take this gig, I'd do it in a New York minute. I just have too many responsibilities at home to join a band that tours, even in a limited way. And I'm not certain I could fill the old bassist's shoes. I'm pretty good, but not *that* good.

Cherie :):bassist:

6. Freddels

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    I wish I could drop everything and do it. I liked the music that he does. Nice stuff.

7. txbasschik

txbasschik

Nov 11, 2005
    Leander, Texas
    Yeah, I really like it alot. My favorites are Mama, and Pieces Fit.

Prolly see him tomorrow...the guys are building my mom's new room. :)

8. Dang----too bad he is so far from me. I might be able to swing 2-4 weeks, but I'd have to get back. Man, his stuff is just the stuff I like----and I am more than competent enough to handle it. Oh well....some things are just not meant to be. Good luck in the search.

9. Is this position filled yet?

10. Oh com'on Cherie, I dig his tunes, ( shades of Joe Cocker in his voice !!)but the basslines arent all that hard. A matter of spot on timing. Your hubby can hold down the fort and kids for a week, cant he!? ;)

11. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    I presume his Missouri jobs this weekend are cancelled...if they're not, and he needs help, let me know.
    I'm a quick study, and could easily have all his stuff charted out from cd by then.

Wish I were close enough to make it feasable; I like his work a lot.

12. Rando McNally

Rando McNally

May 21, 2008
    I might be able to help. Tried to send a PM, but your mailbox is full.

Get in touch with me if you still need someone.

13. Freddels

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    This request for a bass player was over a year ago!!

14. Rando McNally

Rando McNally

May 21, 2008
    Sure, and it's still open, and there is no indication that a bass player has been found. So, what's your point?

15. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    I assume after all this time, the spot is filled. But, I'm in Dallas and really liked what I heard on the MySpace page. Looks like a helluva lot of fun. It could work out on my end, anyway.