Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My new amp is....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Nickthebassist, Oct 29, 2004.

1. .....an Ashdown! It's made in England too! Joe(aka Toasted), and Steve(aka TaySte) came met me in Manchester to help me find a new amp. We tried a Hartke cab with a Hartke head, and also a Roland of some sort(which sounded crap). After trying the Ashdown I decided it had the most growl and punch, and when we used it to also drive the Hartke cab, it was awesome, so I'm now saving for a Hartke cab(think it's 1x15). I think my amp is 1x15(I wasn't too bothered about this, I just wanted a nice fat sound, which I have). All in all the day rocked, and we played a number of nice basses, including a Modulus, and bumped into a rather famous bassist....(check the bassist section).

2. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Ya, now no more threads for atleast 2 months.

3. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Now that your gear quest is complete, you can move on to the finer things in life: Off Topic.

4. I am also going to get a Hartke cab to plug into the ashdown to give it an extra speaker, and some more oooomph for gigging. When it's go the hartke on it, it's insanely loud, with plenty of trouser flapping capability!

5. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Just wanted to say props to Toasted and TaySte for going above and byond and helping another TB'er out!

Good job fellas! :D

6. Yup, they really are 2 great guys! Very friendly and helpful. :cool:

7. the dude

the dude Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2004
    Indy
    Congrats.

...time to play!

8. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    My thread is better go check it out it has a surprise ending

9. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Same day Nick gets a new amp, I get a new cab. Congrats man. Good to hear.

10. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Bah! Get yer own thread!

11. I can really hear how crappy my fender is now.....I am using it as just an extra speaker right now, until I get my Hartke......with the 'Power Amp Out' socket into the 'Power Amp In' on the fedner.....this wont cause any problems with imepdance and stuff will it? I don;t wanna blow my amp.

12. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Do you mean preamp out on the ashdown into poweramp in on the fender?

If so No it won't to any harm, will probably just sound a bit erm rubbish hehe.

13. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Quite the difference, the amp makes, eh? For a long time, my only amp was a crummy Crate practice amp but when I gots me an Ashdown MAG combo, the doors flew open.

And another person has had an Ashdown experience. 'Tis a beautiful thing.

14. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    LMAO! :p

15. I have it from the pwoer amp out on the ashdown into the fender input or the pwoer amp in(depends if i just want to use the fender as a speaker or use it for some mroe tone shaping).....it sounds suprisingly good, and the ashdown is pushing the fender pretty hard, so it's growling a lot. And I have both miked up to the band's PA, so it soundss immense right now.

16. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK

Aww, shucks.... :hyper:

17. if the roland you are refering to is the DB-900, personally, i think that its one of the best amps out there, better than some of the mesa boogie gear ive tried...its a loud amp, 4x10 combo with 2 passive 12" radiatiors......i tried it with some ashdown gear when i was testing my precious with a fender jazz and gl asat...id stick with hartke or roland

18. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Nope it was the DB700 second hand and looked like it had been really played. I think they do sound good but at lower volumes, this was really hissy and had a very thin tone, but of course thats just my opinion.

19. Well this Roland sucked! The Ashdown owned it. The Roland was all hissy and tinny and lacked low end. The Hartke was ok, but didn't get me the growl I wanted....whereas the Ashdown most definetly does!

20. ahh..fair enough....wait til you try a db900..possibly one of the best amps ive ever tried...except for its above mesa boogie price..and theyre 7 speaker, not 6..sorry..im a big fan of the roland amps, even the cube 30's are awesome

[​IMG]