Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

my new amp purchase!(please help me with shipping rates!)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by thepostagexera, Oct 25, 2003.

1. pbd

pbd Commercial User

Jul 17, 2003
    Metro Detroit
    owner Procables N Sound
    I've used busses and trains for shipping goods before. Call them up and see what they'll do. The seller has to get it there though....

2. road trip is out of the question, I already take enough time off from work for touring, I can't afford to go pick it up.

The seller said he is willing to take it wherever he needs to ship it off.

anywhere else guys?

3. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Shipping will be at least $150 for that bad boy, prolly way more. You will need a freight company. Normal UPS, or FedEx will not touch that rig.

Hehehe...I would have sold you my 215 for way less than that, and I would have delivered it to your door.

Oh well.

-Mike

4. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    Look in the Yellow Pages at the nearest "large" population center near where the amp is now, for "Truck Feight" or "Trucking". I'd say put it in a refrigerator box and expect to pay $150.

5. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Try Forward Air http://www.forwardair.com

If they can deliver it to:

Forward Air
    4711 WEST MORRIS STREET
    INDIANAPOLIS, IN 46241
    Phone: 317-243-2366

and you can pick it up at:

Forward Air,
    22027 68TH AVENUE SOUTH BLDG 5
    KENT, WA 98032
    Phone: 253-395-3954

You'll be in good shape. The service is excellent and the rates are pretty cheap

Seems to me that a crated Ampeg 8x10 cost about $60 to ship from Chicago to San Francisco.

Forward Air only does terminal to terminal shipping so the seller would have to drop it off and you'd have to pick it up.

The only real hassle that I encountered, and it's really not much of one, is that after I got a quote for shipping (they had to weigh the crate) I had to go to a 7-11 and buy a money order as Forward Air doesn't accept credit cards or cash (and I don't have an account).

6. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Oy, I just read the auction text...I stopped at the Rural ....Indianapolis part.

Fort Wayne is a bit north. There is a Forward Air location in Dayton OH if that's closer.

FWIW, I was asking about shipping big stuff at my nearby FedEx Customer Counter the other day and they told me that the size limit has just been raised from 130 inches height plus girth to (IIRC) 160 or 165 inches. Knowing this, the cabinet could certainly be shipped via FedEx Ground to a business address as Kathy told me that the limit for Home Delivery is 70 lbs.

Good luck!!!!

7. thanks a lot guys! im glad everyone was down to help me out.

but....turns out two of my bandmates are in indiana right now(lucky me!)! so I if I can get a hold of them I won't have to pay any shipping! yeahhh

8. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    I was in Ft.Wayne about 2-3 weeks ago for a marching band competition. Good luck on the shipping-that seems like it will be a bear to deal with. If your bandmates can take it back to you that would be awesome. That's all and enjoy.